Back after a long break

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Repman, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Repman

Repman New Member

I picked my cornet up again last September after almost 30 years off. Joined a local non contesting band who rehearse once a week. they all seem very nice.
    They have given me the Repiano part, which seems varied and challenging.
    Looking forward to improving hopefully.

2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Welcome back to the world of banding! :)

3. Repman

Repman New Member

Thanks Mike

4. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

It's all ways good when someone returns to playing. So long as you can balance everything else with it then playing adds a lot to life.

On another thread you mention perhaps getting another mouthpiece, IMHO a change isn't something to rush into and it's not a 'silver bullet'. It might be worthwhile checking what you have got against what is popular with other players before doing anything. There have been a few mouthpiece threads over recent months and the last couple of years; certainly the right mouthpiece to match you and your Cornet will help but practice helps a lot too.

5. Repman

Repman New Member

I read a few of those mouthpiece discussions. 2 things kept cropping up, firstly practice is king, and second, find a shop where you can try a few out and see how they feel. Thanks for the advice, I certainly won't rush into a decision.

Jack E, DocFox and 2nd tenor like this.
  6. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

Thanks for the appreciation; I'm happy to help, or rather to try to. As a Rep player you must already have re-established yourself as a capable player. From the Rep seat you're in a good position to chat to both better and/or long established players around you, to hear about what kit they use and why. I was able to do similar and then borrow some mouthpieces before making some 'cost efficient' second hand purchases off of eBay. That route, and using one manufacturer's range (Wick) of mouthpieces as reference points, enabled me to incrementally progress towards and then settle on a piece that's been a good match to me and my needs.

Slider1, mikelyons and Repman like this.
  7. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

Glad you're back banding