Baby Instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di B, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Di B

Di B Member

Can anyone give me advice on trombones and basses available in child friendly sizes please?

What are the better makes/which are best to avoid?

Has anyone bought any in the past and are they worth buying?

Which company did you use to purchase instruments of this nature?

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Trombones... Vincent Bach 300s are a great little student model..
    and reasonably priced..

wasn't aware there was such thing as a child-friendly sized bass.. (unless the child is the mute) Even the baby-basses are bigger than most kids
  3. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I know for basses it's quite common to start students on baritones or euphoniums until they are big/old enough to manage a bass.

Does that help?
  4. Di B

Di B Member

No. I already do that.

I wondered if there were small basses that were designed more for children/teens than the full size ones, just as you can get trombones for the short armed children we have! :wink:

It makes logical sense to me anyway...... and I *am* sober for once! :lol:
  5. Di

Di Active Member

My sons training band have a small Bb bass. It looks to be about between the size of a euph and Eb bass, but i'm sure it is a Bb bass. I will try to ask tonight and let you know what it is.
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I had to play tuba for a youth band once, and was given what they called a "single Eb" - I have no idea if that was the correct name for it :?
    It was basically a mini Eb bass - significantly smaller and only had 3 valves, but sounded ok. I think the make was Westminster.
  7. twm_trombone

twm_trombone Member

There are argentinian single E flat basses, one of the children in my old youth band had one, BIG GAV was the one who owned it if you fancy sending him a pm.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Our YP band has an old Imperial Eb bass. Although it does have 4 valves it is slightly smaller, thus easier to grip, and also considerably lighter.
  9. Despot

Despot Member

Last year I asked a the same question on tMP and got good advice. I can briefly summarize it as follows:

"Sod the small stuff" :D

I was worried about giving an 11 year old the senior band’s spare Sov EEb as I thought it would be too big, but on advice from tMP, gave it, and the young lad is doing great. Size wasn't the issue I thought it'd be. Also picked up an old Yamaha EEb that received a similar response.

You'll get a full size EEb bass second hand for less than the cost of a 3/4 size new, and is probably a better long term investment. You won't find yourself looking to replace it in a few years time as your players grow. I wouldn't worry, they'll adjust quickly to the size.

But if you have the cash, Jupiter, Besson, Yamaha 3/4 size are all good. Wouldn't turn down a second-hand Amati at the right price. Not great, but they're functional. As Peter was saying, Imperials are quite good and are that bit smaller than newer basses. I have my eye on one at the moment! :D

Student trombone-wise, we found Bach is v.good, if pricey, and is what we mostly use with our youth band. Have some King 606's which I quite
    like. Have one Blessing which is average enough, but does the job. Most of the main brands are safe enough I'd imagine. Can't speak for the Elkhart or new Besson 1000 series trombones.
  10. Bob Thompson

Bob Thompson Member

You could purchase a full size one and also purchase an instrument stand, the stand should remove many of the holding difficulties.
  11. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

The BessonInternational Eb is a decent tuba. It's small, a tad bigger than a full size eupho, but very little backpressure. Teaching kids to play on tubas is bad, as when they go to change toi a full size, their air will just get sucked out of them!!

I don't like many Single Bb's, but yes the Jupiter and a little company called Weril (Brazillian made, owned my a small eropean group) make some nice tubas. However, the silver plates have been known to corrode quickly.....

I hate the Amatis!!!! icky icky icky!!! The yamaha EEb's are light and punchy, good for starting. And I've found a lot of kids grow into their tubas.

I personally like to stay away from smaller basses, but I do see the value in them at time. Hope this helps.
  12. Moy

Moy Active Member

Besson produce a small Eb and the model is Besson 700. It is bigger than a euph obviously but a good bit smaller than the double Eb Bass.

No 4th valve but we find it useful for starting primary or small pupils who are suited to the bigger end tooters!
  13. TubaStuff

TubaStuff New Member

Small basses

What you're looking for is called a "3/4 tuba" in the trade. The models vary from instruments intended for children to professional instruments for use in solo or small ensemble applications.

I don't care much for the Besson 700 series (777 Eb and 787 BBb, I believe), as the intonation on these can often present problems. Yet, they're quite small (about a 14" bell). But, if you can find a good deal on one of these (or their predecessors), it might do in a pinch.

Yamaha makes a small 3-valve top-action BBb bass, the YBB-105, that's widely used in schools here in the USA. There is a professional 4-valve model, the YBB-621 that is about the same size.

The Brazilian comapny Weril makes some very respectable instruments at affordable prices. 3/4 BBb basses include the J370 (3 valve) and J680 (4 valve). The also make a 3-valve 3/4 Eb bass, the J330.

If the child has problems with the weight of the instrument, there is a very nice tuba playing stand made by K&M (of Germany) that is a tripod affiar with a cradle for the bottom bow of the tuba.

One of the students here won the 2002 ITEC (International Tuba-Euphonium Conference) Young Artist award using the same 4/4 CC bass that I saw him playing when he was 11 years old. At that time, the tuba completely hid him from view!

Best of luck!

14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Don't like Yamaha 3/4's......they make decent full sizes,, but suck at the small stuff. PArt of Yamaha's problems is their generalbore size is way too small....shrink it down for the 3/4 Bb and that's a shyte load of backpressure to fight, and when you're playing Bb, you waant things to be with you, not against you!
  15. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Never much liked the idea, of 3/4 size tuba's.
    I think that if the child is tall enough to reach the mouthpiece pipe, then put them on a full size instrument..
    Some tuba's have lowered lead pipes as standard..
  16. Despot

Despot Member

In the past I found getting the young lad to sit on a stack of telephone directories, or cushions will bring him up to the leadpipe.

We've advanced to playing stands at this stage! :D
  17. TubaStuff

TubaStuff New Member

Itty-bitty yamahas

There are Yamahas and Yamahas. The student-line 3/4s do have a smallish bore (0.651 inch), but the professional 3/4 instruments hae a resptectable 0.689 bore, the same as a full-sized King BBb.

Having said that, I think the best 3/4 Yamaha makes is their little F, the YFB-621. Sadly, they don't manufacture a corresponding Eb bass.

There are also smallish rotary BBb basses; the Joseph Lidl 701 and the Miraphone 184 are examples of basses that are fine instruments for use in small groups.

Best regards,