Baby Bass Blues

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Just had our training band at a contest last week, did great in spite of the basses! Not the players mind you, the instruments. We've a pair of old Eb tubas that are like rejects from the Boer War. Time to retire them I think!

So I'm looking for options! Any suggestions for a good brand of secondhand Eb? I've been offered reconditioned Weltklangs, but I don't have a clue what they are!

THought of secondhand Besson Sovs but my worry up to is that they're too big!? The lads are only about 10 -11! (Not to mention expense!)

What do other youth/training bands out there use? Or what did you use when you were a wee baby bass player!? :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baby Bass Blues Hi All
    Eb
    Weltklangs
    Boer War
    week
  3. tubatu

tubatu Member

When I started I used a Besson 400 Eb Bass, and I recently acquired a second hand one and it plays extremely well for a beginners instrument.

4. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

In my experience Weltklang are cheap n nasty. I'd go for a more well know (Boosey/Yamaha) brand if you can. If your only option is these instruments then I'd go for it - at least the kids will be playing something!

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I used to hava a weltklang cornet at school

keep well clear!! it was the nastiest bit of junk ever.

i would go for hte sovereigns and not worry about the size, if the kids can get the chnace to play on a big instrument from an early age, they won't struggle when handed a big instrument later. it will make them better players and encourage them to breath properly (they'll have to, to be able to play them!!)

6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Well done to your youth band, but sorry can't help with the basses problem.

7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

You'd make them do the carrying as well wouldn't you Colin!

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Damn right i would!!

9. prudhoebass

prudhoebass New Member

A hard man is our Colin.
    Mind you, he picked up my double B, this morning, and buckled ever so slightly at the knees :lol: :lol:

I marched around Wallsend yesterday, with Ellington Colliery Band.
    Half way round, I remembered why, 5 years ago, I stopped marching with a BBb.

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At least modern basses aren't as heavy as the old ones used to be. When I was in the college band in the late 70's our basses were still 1940's vintage, and you certainly knew you were carrying them, especially when we used to march down the hill to Camberwell each week.

I was pleasantly surprised, when moving onto BBb at Hadleigh a few years ago, to find how light they are, even with the 4th valve.

11. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

I used to play an imperial which was actually pretty good at the time. I had cushion made for me which had a wooden bottom so I could stick the knob on the bottom of the instrument into it. I still have problems now as I am short but with the lead pipe lowered it makes a difference.
    You can actually get baby tubas but I do not know where you get them from, sorry!!!!! :(
    A girl in my county band had one!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Baby Bass Blues Hi All
    Eb
    Weltklangs
    Boer War
    week
  13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I used to play on an old Highams marching BBb. It weighs about the same as a decent Euph and looks smaller than some Eb's. My dads got it now but he's had it converted. It was actually in the old high pitch (B Natural) when I had it. I had to choose whether to transpose or have the tuning slide hanging on the last couple of mm with a piece of blue tack holding it on.

14. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

Are you on the correct subject????????????????????????? :? :?

15. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I am now, I spotted the mistake and edited it :)

Tip
    When opening multiple windows, check which one your typing in before clicking submit :?

16. Tuba Girl

Tuba Girl Member

Must remember that one!!!!!

17. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Peter I was at the same college from either 80 -82 0r 82-84 and sang in the singing brigade I rember all too well those marches on a Thursday night down the hill.

18. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

When I first joined our Senior band, our band sergeant was the Bb bass player with an imperial. He also was quite a short chap and made a wooden attachment to rest the bass on the chair. He somewhat naively kept referring to it as his 'knob stand'!

19. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments, on and off the forum, it cleared up much of the muddle.

I'll try them with Maestro's/ Besson's. Small basses are very hard to find second hand, and for much the same price new, you can get a secondhand Sov! I know where I "borrow" a Besson 981 and give it a go!

Hopefully, RSPCC won't be called at the sight of some poor lad tottering down the road trying to carry a EEb!
    :lol:

Any suggestions for mouthpieces for young players?