B&S Challenger Elaboration trumpets

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by McChambo, May 29, 2004.

1. McChambo

McChambo Member

I am trying out one of these trumpets at the moment. I'm wondering if anyone else has one or if anybody has tried one out?

I was told that a leading orchestral trumpet player in Scotland (formerly of Scottish Opera) highly recommends these trumpets.

Any thoughts?
  2. bertramtrumpet

bertramtrumpet New Member

Just out of interest, who was the trumpet player that recommended them ?
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

They do good Alto Trombones, if that's the slightest bit of use.
  4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

The challenger, in my experience, is a good rival for the Stradivarius.....depending on your preferences.
  5. robmassive

robmassive New Member

I've been playing the Elaboration series trumpet (Reversed leadpipe, larger bell) for about a year and am exceedingly happy with it. Intonation is near flawless except for the usual low C# and D. Sound is absolutely georgeous, smooth, rich, dynamic, with a real edge in the upper register. The timbre of this horn can be changed alot with different MPC's, for instance, I make it scream over a bigband using a GR 64Z (tiny, tiny piece) and it blended great in a bach section of an orchestra using the B&S 1 1/2 C that came with the horn (that MPC is actually alot bigger than a bach 1 1/2 C, and was almost unplayable for a long time... takes getting used to.)
    This horn can be a monster, and a sparkle. Very versatile, good quality (valves are the best I've used - that's compared to yamaha, kanstul, EVEN GETZEN!!!)
    Don't take my word for it, give it a go yourself...
  6. cygnet

cygnet New Member

I have a B&S Challenger trumpet (reverse lead-pipe) and find it lovely to play with a smooth tone but the ability to really sing out (in tune). Following that I tried a B&S flugel - again a fantastic instrument to play but had some lacquer issues (possibly a bad batch went through. it was re-lacquered under warranty and no problems so far). As the founder member of Spinnaker Brass I was tasked with finding second hand instruments and found a B&S Challenger B flat baritone. Slightly flat in the higher registers, but otherwise a nice blow. Definitely worth trying out!
  7. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Sorry, only just found this thread. It was Michael Bennett - I believe he's still at Scottish Opera.
  8. bigbandjazz

bigbandjazz New Member

i,ve been using the Elaboration along with 2 other trumpets in my section for a couple of years its an excellent big band trumpet takes a bit of getting used to but is not really meant for classical its a bit bright & course for that
    its a great lead trumpet really cuts through & brilliant in function bands against the electric guys.