B & R Review

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by ploughboy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I'm doing this off top of head with no notes, so plese forgive any errors.

This concert was free for the genral public, and was a welcome to th band for new professional MD James Gourlay.

The band opened with a quick (unconducted) arrangement of On ilkley Moor, was a nice semi-fanfare opener, Mr. Gourlay was then introduced to the audience and recieved a real brighouse welcome from the crowd.

The Cossack was first out of the hat, and the band showed their class with big rich sounds and top class piano's. Next was the first overture of the night The Cosair, again with semi-quavers running round the band they showed why they are one of the best, lovely solo moments from the corner men too!!

Alan Morrison was first off his chair to play and arrangement of "somewhere over a rainbow", With a near faultless performance he recieved a very warm round of aplause from his "home-town" crowd. (although there was some sweet rappers been russeled!!)

The band moved on with some Wagner in the shape of Intro to Act 3 from Lohengrim, again oozing class, the cornet section showed there skills with some fantastic unison triple tounging. They moved on (i think) with William Himes arrangement off Amazing Grace, with 3rd cornet solo too!!!

The band featured their Solo Euphonium Steven Miles, playing Pantomime, Giving a fantasitic performance (just overpowered by the band a little in th really quiet bits) but the soloist was flawless, as Mr. Gourlay said "if we clap once for every note it'll about right!!!"

Music from the Musicals came next with a cracking arrangement of West side story (sadly we never learn't the arrangers name) but it was a cracker!!!!. With the percussion section really earning their stripes.

The concert was brought to a close with more Wagner, Elsa's procession to the Minster arranged by Howard Snell was a real quality finnish, if one or two were beggining to tire. A huge finnish was greeted with a even bigger round of applause from the always enthusiastic audience.

an encore was a must and they left us with "the light cavelry" again real quality was on show, even a soprano player who had missplaced his part!!!!!!

The evening was great entertainment, James Gourlay linked everything together with effortless humour, and everyone left feeling they had yorkshire value for money!!!!!
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

What! No Floral Dance :shock:

Looking forward to their visit to Wem next week then.

Eric Crees.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Good to read the review, and I hope it will encourage more people to post. Brighouse are coming down our way shortly so I may get the chance to judge for myself!
  4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Where and when is that Peter?
  5. PeterBale

Saturday 17th April:
    Brighouse & Rastrick Band - Brass Spectacular - Civic Hall, Grays, Essex, 7.30pm. Tickets available from box office 01375 383961
  6. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Cheers. Will ask the missus if I am allowed to go :wink:
  7. PeterBale

I'm rather torn at the moment, as I had been thinking of going over to Higham's church in Slough to hear Hendon that night - typical to have the two on the same date :!: :wink: :lol: