B&R announce composer and arranger in residence

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by cbridge, Feb 3, 2007.

1. cbridge

cbridge Member

The Brighouse and Rastrick Band are pleased to announce that Leigh Baker has been appointed as Composer and Arranger in residence.

Leigh has been a playing member of the band since 1990, (when he joined as a slender, waivy haired 20 year old) and has held the solo baritone position for the past 8 years, following a spell on 2nd euphonium and a brief spell on solo euphonium.

His compositions and arrangements have featured in the band’s concert repertoire throughout this time and the band have recorded and broadcast a number of them in recent years.

Leigh was awarded the ‘Best new arrangement or composition’ prize at the Brass In Concert championships, 2006 for his arrangement of ‘Bare Necessities’, an accolade that prompted the band to formalise their association with Leigh as a composer and arranger.

Leigh’s remit is to enrich the repertoire of the band, initially with six new works over the next 12 months, focussing on the 2007 Brass In Concert championships where the band will defend their title.

Speaking of his appointment Leigh said “I am delighted to take on this role with the band. B&R have always championed my music and it is fantastic the band have made the relationship official. There is only one band for me and for them to play my music regularly is an honour indeed. I am really looking forward to adding to the repertoire in the coming months and have some exciting ideas in the pipeline”.

Band president Paul Beaumont added “Leigh has been arranging music and composing original works for brass band for some years and B&R, who are privileged to count Leigh as a long serving playing member of the band, have been fortunate to have debuted many of these works.

It was just and pleasing to see Leigh receive an award at the recent Brass in Concert Champhionships for his fabulous arrangement of Disney’s Bare Necessities, and it is right and fitting that B&R should formalise Leigh’s previously unofficial position and name him as Composer and Arranger in Residence.

Along with many others, I look forward to many more original and entertaining works from this talented and masterful musician”.

Leigh is originally from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire and settled in the West Yorkshire area after studying music at Huddersfield Polytechnic. In addition to his playing and arranging activities, Leigh is head of music at Honley High School in Huddersfield.

John Ingman
    Publicity Officer
    Brighouse and Rastrick Band
  2. subtlevib

subtlevib Member

"Leigh has been a playing member of the band since 1990, (when he joined as a slender, waivy haired 20 year old)"

I think you know what I'm saying here.....;)

Congratulations Leigh! Haven't seen you for many years but often keep an eye out for the name...