B-Mouthpieces (wick)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornet.kid, Oct 26, 2004.

B-mouthpieces - good or bad?

1. I play on a Non-B mouthpiece and wouldnt touch a B

9 vote(s)
  2. I play on a B-mouthpiece and wouldnt play a non-B-mouthpiece

2 vote(s)
  3. I play a non-B-mouthpiece but can understand those who do

3 vote(s)
  4. I play a B-mouthpiece but agree that the tone is better on a non-B and would play 1

1 vote(s)
  1. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

I personnally never have(and never will) play on a B mouthpiece.
    Many others I know are the same, ubt there are many who do play on B-mouthieces.
    But why is this???
    The tone on a B-mpiece is inferior to a non-B-mouthpiece.
    And although playing is easier isnt this just another example of laziness???
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Don't knock it till you've tried it.
    Mouthpieces are intensly personal items, and they depend so much on one's physiology. In my own case, while wider mouthpieces may help my sound, I find that the shape of my mouth and natural emb. are more suited to a mouthpiece that's not so wide.

The whole point of a mouthpiece is to provide a comfortable bridge between the lips and the amplifier. Playing brass is hard enough. No need to make it harder by choosing a mouthpiece that doesn't suit.
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I play a 4B mouthpiece when I rarely play Bb cornet and I like it and the sound I get out of it. I played principal in my band for over 2 years with it and I never had a negative comment about my sound. I never had a problem with range, high or low, and I never had trouble fitting in with the rest of my section who all used non-B mouthpieces. I would play a non-B mouthpiece if it was asked of me but as I get a good sound out of my 4B it has never been a problem!
    To say that players who use a B mouthpiece are lazy is ridiculous! Why does it make them lazy? It is all up to the individual and what sort of shape their chops are.

But then I am only a lazy 4B player...................................

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I got confused for a minute, and then realised you were talking cornet.
  5. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think one of the reasons people play a B mouthpiece (usually 4B) is that they're supplied with new cornets, and so there's more of them kicking about the bandroom than anything else, anyone who's got something different it'll generally be their own.
    Personally I use a 3. After using a 5 for years and then being advised that I should try "the biggest one you can play on and still get the range", I tried a 4 (which wasn't any different) then a 3, and was amazed how much better it sounded. Thing is, if it hadn't I'd just have gone back to the 5. You can't be general with mouthpieces, there are more opinions out there than you can shake a stick at.
    Basically if it works for you and sounds good, it's right.
  6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

The right mouthpiece for you is the one that works for you - if that is a Wick 4B (or any other B), so be it.

For some people a Bach mouthpiece will produce the tone they are looking for, for others Wick, for others Schilke, Warburton, Sparx, Kelly - you name it and there are probably people out there using it somewhere.
    If you are happy with your sound on whatever you are playing on, good for you (it could save you a lot of money on a mouthpiece safari). If someone else is happy with their choice - good for them.
    If you are the sort of person who thinks that one make and model of mouthpiece will be suitable for everybdy, I have some very bad news for you.

There is no perfect mouthpiece. Mouthpiece choice will be down to personal preference, chop size, breathing, style, requirements and just about every other factor under the sun.

I have been on the mouthpiece safari in the past and have settled on some that work for me, on the instruments I play. I changed my cornet mouthpiece earlier this year to a Wick 1BWTL (I bet you don't like these either) and have been very pleased with the results.

Your tone may be inferior on a "B" model, but that is just you - for someone else it could be the perfect mouthpiece.
  7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

I play on a dennis wick 4 and think it's a great mouthpiece. I tried playing a 4B a few weeks ago and I didn't find it very comfertable to play....... maybe because i've played on a 4 for 3 years. I also didn't like it because it made my sound very trumpety!
  8. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

I play on a 3b, always have played a 'b', before that it was a 4b.

Like people have said its all personal choice, and whatever suits the individual player. I certainly wont stop playing a 'b' mouthpiece just because of the name of it!

Whatever suits.
  9. davie

davie New Member

Errr.... what does the "B" mean then?
  10. ScrapingtheBottom

Is it the cup size?
  11. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

The "B" refers to a shallower cup and different (tighter) backbore - this squashes the sound through and hence a more hard, trumpety soun (thats the basics anyway) this is why i have never played one regularly as every time ive tried on it sounded absolutely s*** ('scuse me), but then that comes from a brass band "purist" and i detest trumpets (and the noise they make), also liking the traditional concept if "warmth" in a sound i prefer not to "squash" the sound and make it hard and cold.
    Sorry if this offends any trumpeters
  12. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Takes more than a "kid" to offend trumpeters.

If you find the b mouthpieces not to your liking, that is your viewpoint on your playing, are you really saying that nobody ever sounds better on them? Have you really listened to everybody and made this opinion?
    If the answer is yes, good for you - if not, don't make such generalisations. There are players who can play on a Jet Tone (now there's a mouthpiece you really won't like!) and make it sound warm. Conversely, there will be players who sound bright on the biggest of Denis Wick's mouthpieces.
    Mouthpieces are a personal choice - what works for one cannot work for everybody. If you don't like the b range, that is your choice, but don't slam anyone who does just because they happen to disagree with your personal choice.
  13. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

i play a 3B and i have to say, it is the best mouth piece i have ever played. when choosing my mouthpiece i tried lots of different mouthpieces, including a 4, 4B, 2, and many other,. i have the best sou nd on a 3B and a easier range etc etc. i couldnt live without it.
  14. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Again making generalisations about mouthpieces. Have you read anything that has been written before you? YOU might sound **** on a B mouthpiece but that does not mean that everyone sounds like you on one. Its all up to the individual. On the other hand, sometimes you do need to soune like a trumpet in a band and maybe it is easier to change you sound to match on a B mouthpiece?
  15. I play a 4b and really find that my tone is possibly too "warm"..............I was thinking about going for a shallower bore to brighten the sound a bit............just goes to show it's horses for courses etc..

Every single player will produce a different sound from each Mp........ really it is totally stupid to identify one Mp and then critisise it.
  16. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I have a terribly small and shallow mouthpiece (Wick 6BL) which according to a lot of people would make anyone sound thin and raspy and horrible. Now personally, I like to think I can make quite a decent sound, and no one has ever told me I sound thin and raspy and horrible (unless I've had a few pints the night before, but that's entirely different...) so I guess it's just whatever suits the person.
  17. ScrapingtheBottom

Get a 5ABL, lynchie.

To be fair I play on a very small mouthpiece generally (except when I fancy my 5BS for a change) and I seem to get a decent sound out of it. I think it's all about filling the instrument really.
  18. Incognito

Incognito Member

The problem with the wick mouthpieces in general is that they are not truly conical.

The sides bow out the way and then curve back in at the bottom so they are almost like a very relaxed double cup mouthpiece.
    This means that a mouthpiece like the 2 feels like you are playing into a bucket.
    There is no compression at all.
    Now this works fine on a soveeign medium bore which has lots of inbuilt resistance, but if you are playing on a cornet like mine with a .484 bore (what used to be called circus bore because circus players liked them as the lower resistance aided stamina) then you need a mouthpiece with a bit of compression.

Wick got round this by taking the 2 and flattening out the bottom slightly and calling it a 2b, but it makes me sound like a flugel.
    I use a mouthpiece with a straight conical shape and a fractioanlly narrower back bore.
    In act the sort of mouthpiece shape corent players used to play on a long time ago.

Does mouthpiece choice affect how you sound?
    Possibly not as much as you think.
    I am not sure instruments make that much of a difference either (heresy).
    The core sound will be the same as its still you playing.
    I know that I sound not that much different on the two cornets I have bit one is easier to play than the other.
  19. squirrel

squirrel Member

I play on a Wick 3, but sometimes use a 3B or a McCann for marches, cos they're a bit easier, and I get very knackered very quickly on marches (thats cos of asthma, nothing to do with me being unfit....)

Someone once told me that 2's and 3's were for back row players, and 4's were front row mouthpieces, but I guess it's down to individual preference really.

I used to have a lot of problems with what seemed to be excessive back pressure, but the wick 3 in a large bore sovereign cured that, at the cost of stamina. Now on a Prestige, but still with a 3.

Incidentally, when I played sop, I used a wick 5B cornet mouthpiece.