Ayup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by steve butler, Feb 10, 2007.

1. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Hello from an ancient bass player very much a techno virgin. I,ve been in and out of banding for 40 years (more out than in, oo err) having left yorks imps in mid 70's to pursue a pro career on my beautiful sousaphone.
    I'm now happily settled back in the fold with "kippis" band sat next to my cuddly chum "iancwilx", he loves me fondling his thighs during band practice!
    I don't expect to make quite as many contributions to tmp as ian does, but here goes the 1st step taken......be gentle with me.

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

God help us ! - Butlers joined tmp.
    Beware, his greatest pleasure in life is winding people up !
    Please take all references to "Thigh Fondling" with 10 metric tonnes of salt.
    I once emailed him a derogatory poem I'd stupidly made up about a certain band person. He only printed it off and read it out in front of that person.
    How embarrassing !
    As I said earlier - BEWARE !!
    - Wilky

3. on_castors

on_castors Member

So we can get to see a younger version of you whenever "The Comedians" is repeated on SkyTV?

4. steve butler

No, unfortunately I just missed the comedians TV series, although I have appeared with most of them live, few stories there but not for public consumption!

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I can vouch for that !!
    I also toured quite extensively with the Comedians live Show as a dep for Steve, and it was not for the faint hearted.
    It was mostly hilarious, but at times, was certainly not funny.
    Once, in the band dormobile, on the way back from a long distance Winter gig, the heater broke, and I woke up half way down the M6 at 3 in the morning, to find my face frozen to the side window - "Frosty the Snowman........"
    - Wilky

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Please don't take my above post too seriously.
    I've known Steve for over 30 years and he really is a lovely bloke, and, I might add, still a superb player and soloist.
    Welcome to tmp Steve, I know that your contributions will truly enhance the website - go on, start typing right now !!!
    - Mr.Wilx

7. steve butler

You numpty, people will really suspect the intimate nature of our relationship now!!

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I give up !!!!!!!!
    - Wilky

9. paddo

paddo Member

isn't it steve!!

10. steve butler

nice one mark. he's a good target (keep it clean) our wilky.
    You still snapping away?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ayup Hello
    band practice
    pro career
    ancient bass player
    cuddly chum
  12. paddo

paddo Member

affraid so! got a shop studio in wakefield sity centre now and working as we type!!
    Paddo

13. agentorange

agentorange Member

Working on a sunday? you must be mad, oh hang on...........Doh!! Me too.

14. Teflon1961

Teflon1961 Member

A belated "welcome aboard" my owd!
    :)

15. flugelman

flugelman Member

Welcome buddy. I hope we do get some posts from you Butler instead of the waffle Wilky comes out with!!!!

Only joking Wilky my fine friend

David

16. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I was anticipating you putting your "Two pennorth" in David old lad !!
    Don't be too nice to Steve or he'll be stroking your leg when you least expect it. It does help you get the high notes though !!
    - Wilky ( Waffling !)

17. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Ah Butler…how nice to see that you’ve managed to grasp the nettle of IT, and have joined our merry band of TMPers. I’m also very happy that the little incident of Ian’s ‘poem’ has been once again resurrected: it is one of many amusing stories involving Ian Wilx….for example, when Ian and I were sharing a room at Blackpool (in a professional way, not a personal one!!!), I decided, whist in the throes of a drunken dance, to bounce from Ian’s bed to mine, and back again. Unfortunately, I missed the return trip, and fell head-first into Ian’s wardrobe, pulling all his clothes down, and breaking the above-said wardrobe into 4 pieces. I let the hotel very early the next morning, and Ian was left to pay the Landlord for a new wardrobe…..happy times!
    p.s. The Landlord’s name was Umberto…and he minced around wearing a single black onyx earring, and a lemon-coloured cravat. He was a very close friend of Ian Wilky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Malone

18. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Now, Anthony, whilst I must admit that most of that post has a ring of truth, the fact is that it was you who first encountered the "Gentleman" with the onyx earings.
    We were in the Jager Bierkeller when you were inexorably drawn to the less than obvious charms of the afore mentioned person who was masquerading as a lady of somewhat dubious allure,fetchingly attired in high heels, a red lurex boob tube, and a sequinned micro skirt.
    This vision of loveliness so entranced you, that it blinded your eyes to the tattooed shaven head and stubbly chin.
    Due to a surfeit of Low Alcohol Lager, you failed to discern the true gender of this vision, and finding that you both had much in common, engaged in an exchange of intimate wit and repartee, leading to an embarrassingly public display of flirtation.
    This relationship flourished for the rest of the evening only to founder on the rocks of horror and disbelief, when on retiring for the evening you discovered that the actual equipment at your disposal was incompatable with your own.
    My only contact with the "Gentleman" was to introduce him to an unsuspecting 2nd Cornet player of our mutual acquaintance !
    - Wilky ( Uttered in the low register).

19. Mr Malone

Mr Malone Member

Thanks Ian for those challenging observations. How right the old cliché is, which states that the older we get, the more we view our history through rose tinted glasses. I note that you failed to mention that on the particular night in question, your voice range rose by at least an octave, when a young [VERY young] lady attached to the Band decided to investigate the soft, dangly collection of objects between your legs [whilst you were standing at the bar of the ‘Manchester’]. You also omitted to say that the father of the aforesaid young lady chased you for 20 minutes down Blackpool prom, until you managed to loose him by disappearing into the Jaggy Thistle public house. Didn’t you leave the band immediately after that incident?
    Glad to see that you’re in fine form: indeed, I was recently reading your missives in the Yorkshire Evening Post, telling long tales of the glory days at Yorkshire “Copperworks” Band. I particularly enjoyed analysing the photos, where you bore a striking resemblance to Harold Steptoe. Were those sideburns REALLY in fashion?

Your friend….

Tony Malone

20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Guilty as charged M'Lud !
    Though I might add that it was I who was the victim of an indiscreat intimate assault by a minor in the Manchester.
    At the time my hands were holding two pints of what passes for lager in Blackpool.
    The unexpected foraging in the nether regions resulted in a spontaneous throwing up of my arms which propelled the noxious contents of the glasses up into the smoke filled air from whence they descended, like alcoholic rain from the Gods, drenching the Bass Section of the Dalkeith and Monktonhall Colliery band who were in close proximity.
    The air was rent with Caledonian curses, and threats to "Attend to my caber"
    We hastily adjourned to the Foxhall Tavern. (Taking our adventurous young companions with us.)
    Do you recall the "Swim suit" exhibition that had our eyes hanging out on stalks as we endured an intense hangover. (Same young lady as in the Manchester I believe)
    This thread is getting dangerous. Some folk may even believe some or all of this.
    We must stop telling "Porkies" or we won't go to Heaven!!
    (We wouldn't know anyone there if we did !)
    The question is, are they "Porkies"
    Only you and I know the truth !!!!
    Wonderful times old friend.
    - Wilky

21. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Interesting exchange, folks, but it may be better to continue it via pm to give everyone else a chance, and so those reading the thread don't get bogged down in personal reminiscences etc.

TOPIC ;)

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Ayup Hello
    band practice
    pro career
    ancient bass player
    cuddly chum