Awful christmas music (not in band, or not just in band)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

When walking to work from Doncaster railway station I have to walk through the Frenchgate centre, where my ears have been tortured this week by some absolutely dreadful christmas music blaring out over the speakers even at 8 in the morning. Not sure I can cope with that every week day until Dec 21st. Anybody else got any horror stories. Share the pain!
  2. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

My part-time job when I was 14 was in a local supermarket and they used to play an imitiation Frank Sinatra Xmas recording(trust me it was a poor imitation of the real thing) that was only 30 mins long from end to end.... imagine hearing it 9 times without a break. They didn't change it during the 2 years I was there and started playing it in mid november. At least by passing through you can escape! Maybe they want to discourage loitering??? Take pity on the poor souls who work there!:oops:
  3. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I work as a functions waitress in a hotel and every night in december, the same CD is put on repeat for the duration of the meal, then the DJ plays the same songs in the same order until midnight.
    20 times i have to go through that!
  4. brassintheed

brassintheed Member

Much of the pop christmas music is really poor. often it manages to get by purely on gimmick (which I'm not averse to if it sells records for the distributors I guess).
    But will people please refrain from trying to arrange it for brass bands!!!! I've seen a thread for the fairytale in new york (which is one of the better christmas tracks) but I despair that this has been arranged for brass band. One of the major reasons the track is so good is down to the people who are performing it. Something which can't be replaced by a cornet and a euphonium!

General rule - Don't arrange pop for brass bands (unless it's a particularly outstanding track, and you're a particularly outstanding arranger!)
  5. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Whilst walking through Barnsley shopping centre the other day, the speakers were playing a nice, flowing and melodical introduction into a christmas song or carol.

Then to be massacred by a rapper Obliterating rudolph and incorporating other carols lyrics into it to make it sound "Hip" and "Raving". Truly Awful.

:ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2: :ranting2:
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I Guess you can't Rap Christmas LOL
  7. Masterblaster jnr

Very good. Very good indeed

8. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We must all get sick of hearing the same carols / songs over and over again at this time of year. But I think its marginally better than about 15 years ago, when those nice people at Now That's What I Call Music decided to launch the dreadful Now That's What I Call Christmas compilation.

I still remember Christmas shopping in the years after that came out where every shop (and I really mean every one) had it playing through their tannoy. I swear if I hear George Michael whittering on about last Christmas again I have a screaming fit right there in the aisles of tinsel covered tat.

9. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Think I'm a minority here, I LOVE Christmas music! The good the bad and the just plain weird! But if you play it to me after boxing day, I hate it!
  10. Masterblaster jnr

Sort of rescued yourself at the end.
  11. David Mann

David Mann Member

Cambridge services on the A14 today had "Rockin' around the Christmas tree" on a 3 minute loop. Maddening!
  12. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

But can you (w)rap a good Christmas present?:tongue:
  13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

OOH Yeah sure can
  14. Masterblaster jnr

But what if a singer (I use the term in it's lightest manner) were to rap a "song" about wrapping presents
  15. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

you could be "wrap, wrap, wrappin' around the clock tonight"
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

I thought awful Christmas jokes were on another thread!
  17. Masterblaster jnr

They are, but having a litlle pun on words isn't illegal is it!

P.S i thought the little, odd yet interesting outburst in the middle of a odd, interesting thread worked quite well, it certainly wasn't awful