Available New Arrangement of 'Fairy Tale of New York' for Brass Band

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ronan Doherty, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Ronan Doherty

Ronan Doherty New Member

Awaiting PRS response

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Is it a "legal" arrangement? Just asking ...

3. Ronan Doherty

Ronan Doherty New Member

Hi, Gareth I would need direction on that. What do I need to do to make it a 'legal' arrangement? I'll quite happily withdraw the arrangement if it contravenes copyright. I'm not an expert on this by any means. I recently had an original choral piece performed and recorded at a concert in Birmingham and the subsequent recording was for sale on Amazon and when I challenged the person who had made this recording and was selling it as to why they had not sought my permission they replied that it was up to a royalty collection agency with which I am registered to collect the appropriate share. So I certainly would take guidance on this if you can offer.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  4. Ronan Doherty

Ronan Doherty New Member

I have just forwarded a request for clarity on this with the PRS and await their response. I will remove the aforesaid arrangement until I receive further response.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

If you don't have a licence to make an arrangement from whoever holds the copyright to the original, then you have infringed copyright law. I'm willing to be corrected by a legal expert, but my belief is it's as simple as that. I may be wrong, but I don't think PRS are involved.

6. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

GJG is correct. It is nothing to do with PRS. You need permission from the copyright holder(s) - as shown in bold below - and would normally expect to buy a licence to make the arrangement and a further licence to sell copies.
    Probably contact Universal Music in the first instance.
    Fairytale Of New York
    Words and Music by Shane Mac-Gowan and Jem Finer
    © 1987 Stiff Music Ltd and BMG Music Publ. Ltd Perfect Songs Ltd and Universal Music Publishing MGB Ltd All Rights Reserved.

7. Ronan Doherty

Ronan Doherty New Member

Yes I've just done that, Andrew and await communication.

8. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Active Member

It could be a long wait ! Don't expect them to rush back, these things take ages !