Autumn Entertainments Contests

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by sparkling_quavers, Mar 20, 2003.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Do you know of any Entertainments Contests around Aug/Sep/Oct/Nov? Something around the Midlands area. Will be grateful of any info 8)
  2. Curious

Curious Member

Usually there's a contest in Porthcawl (S.Wales) Sept/Oct open to Champ/1st section bands.

Not exactly Midlands but not too far, and the band could have a great day out!!
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

There is the Wychavon Contest, I believe that this is in the midlands, normally in October? All four sections.

I am sure Roger will now the details!
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Wychavon Festival of Brass

Sunday, 28th September, 2003
    Pershore High School

20 minute entertainments contest

Championship Section
    1st Prize £2,000
    2nd Prize £900
    3rd Prize £200
    Best Soloist and Best Percusion Section

First Section
    1st Prize £1,500
    2nd Prize £650
    3rd Prize £200

Second Section
    1st Prize £1,000
    2nd Prize £500
    3rd Prize £150

Third Section
    1st Prize £900
    2nd Prize £450
    3rd Prize £150

Fourth Section
    1st Prize £800
    2nd Prize £400
    3rd Prize £150

Secretary: Clive Allen
    2 Valley View, Crest Hill,
    Harvington, Evesham,
    Worcs. WR11 8NS

Telephone: 01386-870003

Closing Date for entries: 26th July
    Draw for playing order: 26th August
    Adjudicator's Scores by: 20th September

Note: If entries allow you can play in the section above your bands grading.

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

thanks for the info....I actually went to watch the wychavon contest last year and thought it was really good...definately an idea. Thanks for the info again. Any others?!
  6. Boneman

Boneman Member

I new Roger woul dnow the details - so I got the month wrong and the number of sections wrong (there are 5 not 4) - But as Roger can verify, I always did have trouble counting!
  7. Brian

Brian Member

Not exactly Midlands UK, but in Sept, there's one in Hong Kong, Oct, Manilla, November Bangkok, and early December Chaing Mai, last 2 both in Thailand...Bring your bands over here and compete against the best in S.E. Asia..All sections are open to any ensemble..all brass, brass and woodwind, all percussion, and band (Brass and Woodwind) won both the Thailand ones last year and were second in Hong Kong..Where the winners were from Japan, (a brass band), and they were superb, who would have no difficulty in featuring in the prizes in many entertainment contests in the UK, except those for The best bands, alla Grimey, YBS, Fairey, Fodens, Cory, et al.... Brian

Nearly forgot, the first prize in Hong Kong last year was 25,000 US dollars, for second we got 20,000 US dollars...maybe worth thinking about..
  8. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

certainly puts our €200 first prize to shame..
  9. Heather

Heather Member

Wychavon is a really good contest to go to.
    Well run and good prize money.
  10. Brian

Brian Member

25,000. US Dollars..only problem was it cost 28,000 to take the bands for the five day Festival..Brian
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

are the Breeze Brass Band still going over there Brian..? They used to be pretty nifty...
  12. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

oops.. yes, an extra order of magnitude by mistake..

still, the general concept of my posting remains the same..
  13. Brian

Brian Member

Yes..I heard them in Tokyo about 6months ago...they were excellent..As well as one from Sapporo, but can't remember their name, both very good. It was Breeze that pipped us by 2points in Hong Kong..We are now preparing for the Festival in Nagasaki, in June..but having problems with the funding...about 20,000 pounds sterling..( All donations gratefully accepted). We raised nearly 2500 pounds tho at a School Dinner Dance.The Senior Wind Band played a short concert and the Stage Band played for the dancing.