Autumn Contests 2006 ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Robin Norman, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

The Ipswich and Norwich Co-Op Band are looking to enter a contest between late September and late November this year but, upon looking on the web, I can't find many dates listed.

Preferably a test-piece contest rather than entertainments (although we'll consider either) can anybody recommend and give us dates and contact details for any events this year. We are Championship graded so that would also need to be available for entries.

In particular does anybody know the dates or have more info for the Folkestone or Leamington Spa contests?

Looking forward to some good suggestions.

2. Bones

Bones Member

HI Robin,

Early October NWBBA Fleetwood Contest
    1st week of October last year was the SCABA Folkestone contest
    There is a SWWBBA contest in early october as well
    Gloucester Association do a contest in early November I believe

October is always Pontins Weekend as well.

Cheers

Rich

3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

If your band fancied a wekend away then you could consider the following Scottish dates.

September
    2nd Brass in the Park Contest, Newtongrange
    Entertainment

October
    28th Fife Charities Open Contest, Carnegie Hall, Dunfermline
    March, Hymn Tune and Test Piece

November
    4th Whitburn Invitation Contest, Whitburn Academy
    Entertainment

26th Scottish Open Contest
    Test Piece

There is of course Pontins in early November too.

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

The Oxford contest should run sometime around then too - I haven't got the date with me at the moment though.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

You could consider the Leicester Contest. It's normally the weekend before Leamington, which is normally the last weekend in November. Both are own-choice testpiece contests. Not sure of the exact dates though - December 3rd is a Sunday, I'm assuming Leamington is the 25th November and Leicester is the 19th November. Can anyone confirm one or the other (or both)?

6. HBB

HBB Active Member

The more championship entries the better for Folkestone, Norman!

7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

We have a contest in torquay in the 1st weekend in November, you should come down!

I think it might be the one Bones quoted, but minus a "W" and in November rather than October!

8. Owen S

Owen S Member

Folkestone is always a great weekend, especially if you stay in Folkestone on the Saturday night, like we usually do.

Checking the SCABA wesite, here, it seems the final date isn't confirmed, but last year it was 1st-2nd October. The Championship section is always on the Sunday afternoon. It's an own-choice test piece contest, usually with a hymn first, though they did drop that just for the 2004 contest (I think that's the right year) to save time.

If you look on the site under "Officers and Officials", you'll see their contact details, and I'm sure someone should be able to tell you the most likely date this year.

9. Ali

Ali Member

Theres also Wychavon contest at the beginning of October.

10. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Newtongrange is great fun, done it twice and I think United Co-op Yorkshire are there again this year. It is without a doubt, one of the best, and well-run, contests I have ever played at.... The beer tent is huge as well!!!!

Andy

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Norwich Co-Op Band
    Leamington Spa
    Ipswich
    Folkestone
    dates
  12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

WMBBA Leamington Contest is a good one - provided that there are enough Championship entries...

13. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Brass in the park I'm sure isnt open to Championship bands unless it's changed. I've always thought it a pity but the turnout from the rest of the sections is good and it's a great day.

14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Wychavon, Leamington and Leicester are all decent contests. A good chance to vary rehearsals too as one is entertainments and the other two own choice test piece.

You even get to see my smiley face there (maybe sober next time) so what more could you want!

Hope to see you at Butlins sir.

15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

is it still running ?

16. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

wychaven is a decent contest although it's an entertainment contest, and in nov is the leicester contest which is own choice test piece, it's my favourite and always a good few TMPers there.

17. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It hasn't run for the last couple of years, but we are very hopeful that it will run this year on October 1st.

DaveR

18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Folkestone dates are the weekend of 14th/15th October.

19. Di

Di Active Member

Do you have the details Andy? Do you fancy adding it to the tMP Caldendar? ;)

20. Di

Di Active Member

You too John. :) Would you like to upload these to the Calendar. ;)