Australiana songs.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Okiedokie of Oz, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Australia, January 26, is the celebration of the discoovery of my (not our) great nation. Every year the band plays, and I dunno about the audience, but I am sick to death of playing the same songs over and over agian.

So I put it to you, greak Brass Bandies from afar - when you think Australian music, what do YOU think of??

2. ted

ted Member

Pub with No Beer!

3. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Rolf Harris - 'Tie my Kangaroo down sport'!

:wink:

4. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Either "Waltzing Matilda" or "Ladies Of The Harem"....

Although I usually think of the Monty Python sketch.

"This 'ere's the Wattle, the emblem of our land. You can stick it in a bottle, you can hold it in your hand. Amen!"

5. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

ah chris

just the name australia evokes powerful urges in most people over here in britain, musically speaking i mean. many many composers like percy code and... others bring a great deal of pleasure to people accross the world.
    i also love to hear the sound of the didjerido, although it is unlikely that there is a suitable band arrangement. a mention should be made of waltzing matilda and tie me kangeroo down (both mentioned already i believe)
    i'm going to throw into the musical mixing pot, a lovely song which to me epitomises australia, it's culture, it's people and most of all it's musicians. it's an uptempo song, written by cultural embassadors no doubt in my mind.
    therefore, i give my nomination as the piece i think of when i think of australia (and it may suprise some of you that i am so in touch with the hit parade.....) to

live it up. by mental as anything

lovely

uncle eric :wink:

6. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Hmmm....Aussie music. Maybe Men at Work's "Down Under" or something by Midnight Oil. I can't stand Kylie Minogue.

On a more serious note, I've heard good things about the compositions of Carl Vine, but have not actually had an opportunity to hear any it.

-Lothian

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Amazingly, you guys all go for the songs that Aussies know and love, but noone will arrange. I 'spose you're expecting me to? :p

8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Anything by Midnight Oil. Great band, great guys. Just a pity that they're no longer recording anything.

How are things in Gladstone, Chris? I remember having a very weird night there once!

Sam

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Gladstone's going well. We're a very young band at the moment, but give us time....we'll beack in B grade before you know it :D

10. Okiedokie of Oz

When did you have a weird night in Gladstone??? Must've been long before I was on the scene!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Australian
    band
    nation
    music
    songs
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We had a broadcast on UK TV on Saturday night of a celebratory evening in aid of the Prince's Trust charity, marking Rolf Harris's 50 years in show business. The soprano Lesley Garrett was one of the guests, and came on at the end, beginning to sing "Land of Hope and Glory"... before Rolf interrupted her and told her they were going to do the Australian version . . .

Sure enough, after the introduction, what did we get, still to Pomp & Circumstance No. 1 - "Tie me kangaroo down, sport . . ." :!: :wink: :lol:

13. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

or suddenly by angry anderson. an antipodean masterpiece

regards

uncle eric

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . not forgetting "Best of the Seekers" :wink:

15. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Not that band. I mean the town. I drove through en-route to Cairns. Sat in a pub drinking for most of the night, and then ended up sleeping in a lay-by

Sam

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Which Pub? You know the Grand burnt down back a couplka years back. Because it was heritage listed, they rebuilt it, including the Widows Keep

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Plus of course.... Percy Grainger (Aussie by birth, I believe).

18. Okiedokie of Oz

spot on Dave. Don't forget that Yorkshire is conducted by an Aussie too!!

David King....Yorkshire, right?

19. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I dont really care what you play Okiedokie but I would pay good money to listen to it on what appears to be the worlds smallest EE flat bass that you are holding in your arms!!

Perhaps you could play 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot'- that's got something to do with Australia I seem to remember :lol: :wink:

Igg

20. Okiedokie of Oz

Swing low??????????????? That's a football joke isn''t it??????

21. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

.....only egg-shaped footie!!

Igg

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Australian
    band
    nation
    music
    songs