Australian Nationals 2008

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by MickM, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MickM

MickM Member

Good luck to everyone competing at the Australian Nationals especially all the brits out there.

Anyone daft enough to be up at 4am here's the live stream.

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Australian Band Championships Live Streaming

Anyone else having a listen?

I was also wondering, now that both the Norwegians and the Australians have both allowed live streaming, what's the chances of either the Open or the Nationals here streaming events live?
  3. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

I got up early on Sat and Sun to watch this. Was quite sureal watching the contest live as it was happening in Australia, would be good if this could happen at more contests. :clap::clap::clap:
  4. Rodney

Rodney Member

My band, Geelong West Brass Band, was in Brisbane for the Nationals - came a credible 3rd in grade B :clap: :clap: Been in that Grade for 6 or 7 months only so not a bad effort.

Unfortunately, only A Grade was streamed live - but it's a start isn't it.

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I've often thought that this would be a good idea but I've always stopped when I consider the copyright implications. I have no problem with the technical aspects of the project. Can anyone knowledgeable (KMJ perhaps) outline for me what costs would be incurred with relation to public broadcast of the testpiece. Do you simply need to pay for a performance license, is it one license or one per band etc.

Well done to Australia and Norway for leading the way here.
  6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

doesn't doyen hold a lot of the rights in the competitions that they make cd's of? I thought the bands sign away their rights to the performances upon entry.
    I always presumed this was the barrier for streaming...
  7. Rodney

Rodney Member

One of our guys runs the web-site that did the streaming in Australia. I'll have a natter with him and let you know the ins and outs - or get him to sign on to tMP:tup

8. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

The licencing of audio streaming is governed by the Joint Online Licence from the MCPS, I'd have to investigate the implications of a video stream.

It may well be that there are contracts in place that preclude streaming - some people try and argue that it'd detract from post contest sales, although I remain unconvinced due to the usual (lack of) bandwidth of the stream. However, it'd be surprising if they were very long term (IMO they shouldn't be).

More importantly there are additional requirements in terms of gear and personnel who may have different expertise than those who normally cover the contests. You'll need to pay for the hosting site and the bandwidth (which could potentially be a large chunk of cash)....

There's also the potential tradeoff between attendance and net watching - will it affect ticket sales (don't know)? Do you provide it as a chargable service inside the host Country, and a free service for other Countries? (remembering that if you're providing an International stream there may be other licencing applications).

And then there's the interest factor.

Is the brass band culture in Norway and Australia different such that things like this are desirable and therefore funded by various places (wasn't the Norway stream done by an equivalent of a local TV station for instance?)? It's ok for our brass band masses to request a contest stream....and even offer to pay a nominal amount for it.....but when it comes down to putting your credit card details in, would you really do it?

The bottom line is that it wouldn't be cheap and it may eat into potential profits that really aren't that big in the first place.

That said, I still like the idea :D
  9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Be positive Keith!!!

Here's a quick brain dump . . . . . Scrap the prize money at the areas. That would generate £1,750 per area. Multiply that by the eight areas and that gives us £14,000 to start with.

Give you the cash to purchase the required equipment.

Set the area contests for eight different weekends.

Host the video stream on tMP

Charge for the facility - Quid per contest.

You sort out all the copyright implications and do all the ground work. I take 99% of the profits (as it was my idea) and retire to a remote island in the Carribean.

10. KMJ Recordings

Where do I sign? :lol:
  11. KMJ Recordings

Just as an aside, er, no it wouldn't ;) I can sneeze £14G away on 3 or 4 mics never mind the stuff that's required to do this properly (and you'd have to do it properly or it's not worth doing).

For something like this, you hire in the requisite people and their gear (or they hire it in on your behalf).

I've dropped a line to a friend of mine who'll have the appropriate contacts to see if he can someone to give a handwavy ballpark figure for what the cost implications would actually be in terms of everything bar the manpower.
  12. MickM

MickM Member

Congratulations to Brisbane Excelsior on their historic 4th consec. National win!

As for this live streaming lark, it's great to see it being talked about on here. Don't have a clue myself but it would be fantastic if you guy's that understand the complications could get the wheels in motion for the uk band movement!

Norway and Australia have managed it proving that it is possible.

Although not live here is Brisbane Excelsior's Hymn performance.
  13. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

If you press on most viewed from the link, it takes you to james morrison and bill watrous!! They are fantastic!:clap:
  14. trm

trm Member

Just to drop in with a quick reply on this: During the Norwegian National Championships the streaming was done courtesy of the Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK), similar to BBC.
  15. KMJ Recordings

Ah, OK, thanks for that - bigger than I thought then :)
  16. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Keith, I would still be interested in getting rough figures. I was looking at a contest like the Scottish Open. Its owned and run by SBBA so we would not have any issue with contracts that preclude streaming.
  17. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

There is an interesting point here relating to broadcasting/recording - I have always been under the impression that one needed the expressed permission of each performer before a performance could be recorded and broadcast in this way - if that is indeed the case then whatever (if anything) is included in the entry rule for the regional contests cannot have obtained such a consent from each player. Individual performers also have rights these days and I don't believe that a band would automatically be seen as my agent in this respect when entering a contest.
    (happy to be corrected though!)
  18. KMJ Recordings

You have a PM ;)
  19. KMJ Recordings

I believe we've been here before :D
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

We may well have been but there wasn't an answer then either, just opinions!
    When you record a band, it's different in that the band have engaged you to record them and they have implied their consent by turning up for the recording session. They can also put right mistakes before being released.