Australian Banding

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MarkGillatt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

I have been offered a move to Melbourne Australia by my company which I must confess, I am seriously considering taking. I know that brass bands are alive and well down under, but what level of banding is it. I have played professionally for 12 years, but recently I have been playing with my original band in the second section. I don't really have any interest in joining a Championship section band as family life comes first for me now. Also, some advice on areas to avoid when choosing a new home, we are looking around the Altona area of the city.
  2. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I dont think they take just anyone Mark, you have to meet a certain criteria and being a dab hand with a Vacuum Cleaner and impersonating Bobby Crush isnt on the list.
  3. Rodney

Rodney Member

Mark maaaaate,

Our principal cornet player lives in the Altona area and when you arrive here, please drive down the Princes Freeway to Geelong - we'd love to see you.

We are a great outfit - love a beer and even playing a bit of music from time to time. Just been promoted to B Grade (about 6 months or so back) and came 3rd in that Section at the recent Oz Nationals - not a bad effort :clap: :clap: if I say so.

The distances we travel here is a lot bigger than in the UK. Our soppy does a round trip of approx. 500 Km every rehearsal - man...he loves banding!!! Me, it's about 20 Km each way so that's easy.

Naturally, there are other bands but we're the friendliest :D Check out our web-site. You'll be made very welcome and you wont even have to drag out the Hoover!!!!

4. Rodney

Rodney Member

Hahaha...............Mark, were your ears burning a couple of nights back - or rather, your middle of the day ????

I believe you have received an e-mail to your comments on Geelong West band's Guest Book.........something like 20 Questions - from Shedman.

BTW we had finished rehearsal and were enjoying some :guiness and hot chips and tomato sauce. Now if that doesn't make you want to "come and have a bash" with us, nothing will. Well, perhaps the threat of allowing you to ride the Hoover!!!!