Australia pull out of World Champs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by fitzy, Feb 7, 2005.

1. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

The Australian National Band has officially pulled out of the World Champs in July.
    It is a shame but all of us down here have learnt a lot from the experience.

I will just have to try to get over for the British Open! ;)
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

How sad... such a shame though.
  3. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Sad to say but it was inevitable. We just don't have the people to organise stuff like that properly down here.
    In my humble opinion I think they went about it the wrong way but I'm only a sop player and they don't listen to me. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  4. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

did someone say something?

5. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

but you're a fine sop player, Fitzy!

Does anyone actually think that the 'World Championship????' is going to take place?
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

I think that something will take place, and that the organizers will call it the "World Championship". Not that it really will be . . . :-?
  7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

The contest will go ahead any way.

As long as there are bands from 3 different continents, they will call it "World Championship" I think, otherwise it will be back to "WMC contest", as it was known before...
  8. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

9. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

Are any UK bands confirmed for the event?
  10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

From what I can gather, our NBCA had trouble getting info from the organisers in Holland. It would be a shame if the contest didn't go ahead and I hope that the Aussie Band can get there next time.

Thanks for the plug David. Hope your practice for the Keller is going well (But not too well ;))
  11. On Feb 19th they will publish the list of competitors. Hopely some nice bands are coming, otherwise it's not so amusing to play and participate to the 'world championships'....
  12. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

I believe that Reg Vardy is participating.
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

So if either New Zealand or Chicago pull out in other words :S

(Although I doubt Chicago will pull out at this point)
  14. kiwiposaune

kiwiposaune New Member

I know that some of the orchestral players in the NZ National Band are struggling to get the time away from work (I probably wouldn't give the principal trombone time off when Bruckner 3 is scheduled either) and a few of the others are grumbling about the cost. If it turns out that it's a bit of a non event there may be a few defections - but then again it's an opportunity for them to try European beer so they'll probably be there anyway.
  15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

I have heard rumors from friends that the NZ band is struggling as well. I hope this isn't the case as they are a fine band.
  16. flatatone

flatatone Member

Is anybody going to to the world championships or Europeans this year? I think very little, brassbanding doesn't have alot of money behind it now. Bands(or sponsors) are not really prepared to spill out a load of money to jeopardise their fiancial position and remaining time of existence.