Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by leisa, Oct 20, 2003.

1. leisa

leisa Active Member

ive got quite a efw big auditions coming up :shock: and i just wondered if anyone had any tips for controlling nerves and such???

anything would be much appriciated!!
    Leisa x

ps has anyone heard anything about banana's helpin before?? :?
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I was once told to try a mars bar and a coke before playing solos and stuff.

somthing to do with the sugar content i think

as for nanas, they are good for energy too. perhaps it works in the same way
  3. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Well im one of the most nervous people around when it comes to playing solos and doing auditions but the best thing i think is just to be confident in your own ability.
    Just go in with the attitude that your gonna try your best and whatever happens, happens.

After all whats the worst that could happen?? If your happy with your performance it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. (try telling Dyke that!)
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Good Luck, I find that sumtimes nerves are good, they show that what you're doing is important (but most of the time just scarey).

I just take deep deep breaths before I play and try to appear looking confident .... so it doesn't show that inside i'm cacking myself! :D

I don't have any food ideas ... just the plain old swig of water.

Good Luck! :D
  5. The Cornet King

We used to prefer Brandy!!
    But seriously i just thought of something else. Something my old band members used to do. Apparently wetting behind your ear (sounds ridiculous i know) actually helps to calm nerves. it is meant to be a psychological thing, and stops your mouth going dry. Don't ask me how but it apparently does work!

Good luck Leisa :D May the force of tMP members be with you! :p
  6. HBB

HBB Active Member

Our horn player at band takes a swig of sumthing before the areas, and she even goes to the length to disguise it in her son's fruit juice bottle! :D:D:D

The things people do, eh?!

7. The Cornet King

Well ben we always take aswig (a large one) before the area and make no effort to cover it up!!! The conductor knew we did it so...
    although too much and you'll end up like Grimley in Brassed off did in the Whit Friday marches! :p
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

"There's nowt wrong with being a bit pi**ed lad!" :p:p

Of course ... I never touch the stuff ... even at a german beer festival :roll: :roll:

(Almost wrote a beef festival! :D)

9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just lick your finger and moisten behind each ear - it will relax you.
    If you go dry - gently chew your tongue and the saliva will flow - believe me - it works !!
  10. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

firstly, remember that being nervous makes you tense, makes your mouth dry, and depending on your own personal nervousness makes you sharp or flat.

but secondly, it is very rare in my experience to find that the auditioners want you to play badly, want you to be nervous or underperform, they just want you to try your best; they're on your side!
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Firstly, take a deep breath before you go into your audition, and secondly enjoy it! :D
    Never panic, never think bad things like your instrument falling apart on you etc... and at the end of the day do your best, because thats all the uni wants...

When I went for my audition at Salford, remarkably I didnt feel too nervous (and believe me I'm one for the shakes!)... I just felt so comfortable being there, the people around were lovely, and it just felt so right...
    If you get that feeling too where-ever your audition is, you'll know you're in the right place :)

Good luck mate!
    See you at the social!
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I remember when a guy I know was playing in the brass finals of Young Musician of the Year they did some interviews with the contestants about how they prepared. The rest of them all said things like "I do a few scales", "warm up my mouthpiece", "think through the piece" but he'd been running late all day so they had just grabbed him as he got through the door and all he could think was "I eat loads of bananas"! Cracking stuff, but I guess it probably works!
  13. RobertJohn

RobertJohn New Member

Try Brown Ale
  14. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I've got an audition for the National Youth Brass Band of Great Britain coming up and i'm scared! :cry: :roll: I don't want to forget all my scales!
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Good luck!

I avoided NYBB auditions last year because I tend to create this manic vib whenever I get nervous and it doesn't tend to go down to well with the guys judging! I was once described as having the sound of a 1950s french trombonist after an audition, which I didn't really understand until I heard a recording of one... more vib than Phillip McCann on speed!
  16. leisa

leisa Active Member

hey so have i!!!!! i will forget all my scales!!! whens urs?? ive got about two weeks methinks :cry: :?
  17. angie

angie Member

hey good luck, and they are always really nice in nybb auditions.
    was always told a good trick for controlling nerves is to (don't laugh) : put loads of jumpers on and then run up and down the stairs for a bit so you get your heart rate going etc and then try and play (apparrently Bob Childs used to do it) once you start getting used to playing under those conditions you should find it easier to play when nervous.
    maybe see you in nybb
    :) xx
  18. are you sure bob childs used to run up and down the stairs???!!!
  19. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Oi that's a bit cheeky! :lol:
    I've heard about that too, it was on his website until it disappeared off the internet!
    Good Luck Leisa, mine's on the 2nd November me thinks in Leicester. When's yours??
    I'll be practicing loads over the half term- especially scales!
  20. leisa

leisa Active Member

mines 8th november!!! :? :?