audition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matt_BBb_bass, Aug 17, 2006.

1. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

I have a audition end of the month to get in to cornwall youth!

has anyone got any tips as i have never been two one before

Thanks

2. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

play better than the others?

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Have they given any indication what is expected of you?

If you have to choose your own music to play, select something that allows you to show your best qualities, rather than necessarily something with lots of black notes or technical challenges. I would probably be an idea to brush up on your scales & arpeggios beforehand, and be prepared to face some sight-reading as well.

4. Jay

Jay Member

I was just guna say all that lol :p and don't be nervous, you got nothing to lose, just go in there and show em what you got! Do you know what you're playing yet?

5. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

You're at an advantage because you're on a 'shortage' instrument. So just make sure you have a good sound in what you pick, and leave the flashy bits to Eb basses.

6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Make sure that your instrument is in proper playing condition. You don't want to have to deal with sticking valves while you're trying to do the audition.

I've auditioned several people over the years who had to stop in the middle of the audition and disassemble valves to get them working - while mechanical issues are understandable, this kind of thing can leave a bad impression.

7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

If you're expected to choose a piece yourself, pick one that you know you can play well and feel confident in rather than one which will sound more impressive but is at the outer reaches of your technique. Whenever I've auditioned, if I'm playing something I know I can do well I've just got on with it, whereas if I'm playing something that's a bit "touch and go" I tend to leave my best performance at home. You will be nervous, or at least a bit excited, and you need to be playing something you are confident in. Plus, work on your sound. In a BBb player I'd always want a good sound first, over and above flying fingers or daft high notes.