Audition pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Majoresteve, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Ive got a audition for uni soon, havent set the date yet so i have a bit of time.
    However having never really done a audition like this before, i was wondering what type of pieces i should do?

I dont know the requirements for the audition as i only got the letter today, but its for Huddersfield.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Ive
    Huddersfield
    Audition pieces Ive
    uni
    date
  3. Bex_Euph

Bex_Euph Member

hiya im in my second year at hudds uni and its really good.
    For my audition I played my grade 8 piece (Horovitz euph concerto 1st movement) and the 2nd movement of it as well which I think is about grade 7 standard.
    You just basically have to pick two contrasting pieces or movements to show that u can play different styles.
    I didnt end up playing that much in my audition I just chatted to Dave Thornton who auditioned me and is now my teacher.
    Its really brilliant at hudds u should definatly come, if you do performance you get an hour a week tuition on it which is more then most uni's offer.
    GOOD LUCK :p ;)

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I too had an audition at Hudds and went there for a bit, audition was ok basically as Becca says just two contrasting pieces that show you can play, I did Rhapsody and Holy Well so just shows you don't have to play hard pieces!

Auditions are a bugger though if you've never done anything like that before, my first experience was being auditioned by David King for Salford :shock: ...**** myself but mustn't have been that shocking as I got a place

Good luck anyway :)

5. Ginge

Ginge Member

Absolutely hate auditions! Never do play very well in them.
    Have got one for the Marines in a couple of weeks, so i hope it goes better for me this time!
    I would suggest playing something that shows off your best quality in playing. Something your comfortable playing as well. No point in playing something too technical if you don't sound comfortable playing it.

Good luck though Steve!

6. Have you ever played Haydns Trumpet Concerto? I always find that it goes down well. Its grade 8, the first movement is quite tricky or you could do the second movement if you wanted something a little easier and more lyrical. I havn't even attempted the 3rd movement, far too difficult for me! lol. I'm going to be doing this for my A-level and then my contrasting piece is going to be Girl From Ipanema I think, which you can find in 'Play Latin' published by Faber Music. This is easier but shows off a different style, which they will most likely be looking for. Hope this helps. Nic x