Audition Attire?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JesTperfect!, Feb 11, 2010.

1. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Possibly more one for the ladies, although any budding Goks out there are more than welcome to contribute!

As some of you know, I have auditions for Uni next month (Salford and Huddersfield). I'm proper excited...and only a lot nervous, but I'm preparing well and hopefully the playing side will be ok.

My question is - what would you advise that I wear?

If I were a bloke I'd stick on a pair of trousers, a shirt, tie and jacket, and remove the jacket and possibly the tie if I felt over-dressed. As a girlie (not sure I can call myself a woman yet!), I don't have it so easy!

I figure if I wear a shirt and trousers combi I'll end up looking like a waitress....if I put on a jacket I look like I'm going to work in a bank....and if I dress down I look like I don't care/am not taking it seriously....which I really am!

Help please!
  2. Eb master

Eb master Member

mini skirt, boob tube, boots.
  3. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Trousers shirt and jacket is good.....remember it's important to feel comfotable as you will be nervous enough during the audition.

and keeping the jacket on covers any sweat patches !!
  4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

and with either of those you have a job better than most music students get :)
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I have the fashion sense of the average bandman (I know :(), but I would definitely advise that you treat it like an interview and wear what you would wear to a job interview.

A lot of universities don't give a monkey's what you wear (and there are probably Salford and Hudds students on here who can advise), but every now and again you'll turn up in jeans and a t-shirt to find a hatchet-faced old biddie pursing lips in disapproval. I got one of those when I went for an interview at Sheffield Uni - "ahem" years ago :eek: - fortunately I'd put my only suit on for the occasion, but the guy after me had ripped jeans and a Megadeth t-shirt and once he'd realised they were being quite formal about the whole process he was properly cacking it because he thought he'd underdressed.

If you're overdressed people generally understand and appreciate that you've made an effort - if you turn up in yer civvies and everyone else is in a suit you'll feel a lot more awkward!

Also - and this might sound a bit weird - I don't like giving a performance in civvies. Because I've always played in bands or orchestras I'm so used to wearing uniform or a DJ that I find it harder to get my "performance" head on if I'm in casuals. It might well just be me, but wearing more formal gear is part of my mental prep routine for performance playing (as opposed to practising).
  6. Wear what you like, they're auditioning you for your musical potential, not your fashion sense :)
  7. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'm not totally convinced that this would give the impression I was hoping for......although if it would help me get in.................

We've never met, have we? Mini skirts? Not really my cup of tea.....!

I'm a lady, we don't sweat, we perspire!!
  8. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Horses sweat, Gentlemen perspire, Ladies GLOW!
  9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Conductors don't sweat, it's unprofessional - see rule no.2!
  10. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Just wear something reasonably smart, but not overly constrictive.

Find out how long you're going to be hanging about before deciding on shoes too...heels will be the death of you if you're there all day.
  11. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

are you looking for a date now? Better go to a pub. Don't worry about what you are wearing unless you get too casual or turn the audition into a carnival :biggrin:
  12. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Black trousers and a "sensible" top worked for me!
  13. sbandsman

sbandsman Member

Be yourself !!!!!!!!! It is your playing/accademic potential that is on disply here.
    Although the professional attitude helps
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  14. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

Me too. Tidy and comfortable is what I'd go with. Good luck, by the way!
  15. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I'd go for a suit
  16. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

I agree with all the comments about wearing something that's comfortable to play in.

I'd also bear in mind that the audition may well be assessing your potential to become someone who can perform to a professional standard. Therefore I'd advise something on the 'formal but not too flashy' side of smart rather than the 'casual' side (if that makes sense).

Something Robert Childs said to me on a National Youth Brass Band of Wales course many years ago has always stuck in my mind: "People listen with their eyes as well as their ears!" Think about something that projects a positive, confident image but which doesn't distract from your playing.

17. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

A pretty and lovely dress - again should be not to constrictive but not ostentatious and nice sensible footwear. :tup

From experience you still need to catch the eyes of everybody watching all the time. :p
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Not too sensible, of course.
  19. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

Since when MD is an instrument (look the above poster's profile)? [​IMG] How do you customize/tweak one? can you replace any parts? :roll::woo

Sorry Jes, for hi-jacking your thread...just couldn't help it.
  20. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Perhaps you should try harder next time...:(