Attention Cornet Players!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by welsh_cornetto, Jul 5, 2006.

1. welsh_cornetto

welsh_cornetto New Member

Tired of getting oil on your clothes? I know for sure I am. In my opinion I think it would be a great idea if someone invented a drip tray to place on the bottom of the cornets valves. Euphoniums have drip trays so why haven't cornets or infact any other brass instruments?

What do you people think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Attention
    Players
    oil
    idea
    someone
  3. yorkshire_lass86

yorkshire_lass86 New Member

Thankfully as a bone player (and sackboot extrordinaire) we dont have that problem but can imagine it can be a problem being constantly lubed... driptrays are the way forward. I think we should get in touch and start a business ;)
    the joey

4. andyp

andyp Active Member

No idea why cornets don't have them, having said that I've never had valves that dripped, unless just after I've washed it (theres always a bit collects in the bottom then). Or I've put too much oil on, then the excess drips out.
    Now if you could get non-drip water keys, that would be great!

5. Rotson

Rotson New Member

Use spit - its just as effective, a lot cheaper and doesn't make as much mess!

6. Nat

Nat Member

but if you do that too often the cornet will rust and the valves will smell lol

7. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

But valves don't taste very nice.... and you end up covered in mucky grey stuff :tongue:

8. Rotson

Rotson New Member

Nat - your breath must be like acid! No offence lol

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Valves are machined to fine tolerances and need oil to work correctly. Spit just gums them up and requires major cleaning work to sort out after a while. Also corrodes the metal.

10. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Insert a 5p piece in the bottom of each valve cap....this should do the trick....apparently it assists with the sound as well ????? Alternatively, providing you are not a female, sit as a cornet player should i.e. legs apart.....gubbins will then make it's way between your legs to the floor. I also know of one horn player who would never go on stage without his favourite beer bar towel......this will protect your clothes.

11. davidsait

davidsait Member

You can already by drip trays to go on the bottom of cornet valves. I had one once before I changed instruments. It was called a 'Grime Gutter'.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Attention
    Players
    oil
    idea
    someone
  13. davidsait

davidsait Member

14. persins

persins Member

I can recommend the beer towel approach. As well as catching water from leaking instruments it can also be used to put mutes on during performances to stop the banging and clattering. Doesn't stop me throwing them about though. I've never had a problem with leaking valves although the water keys are a nightmare. However, I do often find some water / oil stuck in the bottom when removing the valve caps.

15. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I've had a Courtois Chambord XXLR for 18 months and haven't used valve oil yet.....perhaps I'm lucky!!!:tup :confused:

16. welsh_cornetto

welsh_cornetto New Member

Do they fit all types of cornets? Not sure if it would fit a prestige as they have bigger bottom valve caps.

Iv'e seen them for trumpets but not for cornets. Will the cap size on a cornet be the same as a trumpet?