Attention all sop players!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brass_master99, Jul 5, 2009.

1. brass_master99

brass_master99 New Member

I need you to tell me, what is the comfortable pitch range of any decent soprano cornet player. I need to know because I'm looking at writing a sop/tenpiece solo.

Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Attention
    pitch range
    soprano cornet player
    sop
    solo
  3. Kjata

Kjata Member

What do you mean by decent??
    When I was on sop with a brace I could go from a low f# to a top a or b above the stave, but only by step, so don't write a top b at pp cause you'd need a top class sop player to do that!! Hope this helps. :)

4. joshy

joshy Member

Depends on the level of player (more or less). The written range in second section and above test pieces (that I have player) go up to top C and I would say that top G/A and occaisional good B would be a generally accepted solid range. The thing to remember is that most soparnos aren't very good intonation wise in the lower register.

5. brownrob

brownrob Member

Well, I know D below the stave and lower can be a problem note to tune, its easy to play though but careful use of triggers can sort it out

Top end I would say most Sop players could hit an A above the stave comfortably while most could eek out a top C but you dont go much higher than that on the sop unless you want a stroke!

I think there is a top D in procession to the minster, and maybe even an E in Journey to the centre of the earth but you need to be on top of your game to be getting up that high. Whatever you do, dont make it too extreme unless you want to alienate half your audience

6. sop 1

sop 1 Member

I practice up to top E's everyday.u dont know when u'll need them! but being realistic for a solo top C's are prob the limit! :D

7. blue juice

blue juice Member

Up to a D is realistic for a good sop. B is comfortable for most though

8. jrshimmon

jrshimmon Member

A's my safe limit. B's are possible in the right conditions. In today's heat on the Band stand I did not have a prayer. G seamt to be my absolute limit no matter how much I sweated and huff and puffed. I think I made a fool of myself at times though still learning. So I would agree with the previous posters that ABC is about the reasonable limit for an experienced player.

9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

For someone you know, or for potential publication?

If it's the former, ask them ;)

If it's the latter play it safe (or provide an alternative part).

10. QAD

QAD Member

Typical Sop players! not one mention of the lower range ;)
    I wouldn't venture much below G either, tuning on E flat (trumpet and Cornet) can be a challenge for most in the bottom octave and Sop players tend to leave out anything below that they have doubled-up with the front row.
    Take a look at a selection of Sop solo's. Philip Sparkes' are quite typical e.g. Flowerdale, and Cappricio. The both range from middle G up to top C (but don't dwell too long in the top register) and this is about a good range for a tenor horn as well so you can maximise your target market.
    Hope this helps
    Huw

11. pagliacci

pagliacci Member

just looking at the sop part of Snell arrangement now, just to C I think (and the Cs are in a few bars marked optional), but plenty of Bs that aren't optional and ending on a paused top B semi-breve; I'm out of breath just thinking about it......

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Attention
    pitch range
    soprano cornet player
    sop
    solo
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I've long since discovered if you're writing anything below a middle G on a soprano, then you're probably writing it on the wrong part.

OK, ten piece music is a little different and requires players to fill gaps they might not do in full band music, so one might expect the low register of a sop to extend down a little but I still wouldn't send it below a D just under the stave.

In a full band context, barring issues of tone colour, there's usually little point writing a sop below a middle G. That's what B-flat cornets are there for.

14. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

The lower range of soprano cornets tends to be quite flat in my experience. I can compensate for G and F# (in the stave) by using alternate fingering where necessary but F in the bottom space has no alternative and is the worst note for me.

Going to down to bottom D and lower is actually more in tune - I just don't use much trigger for the bottom D.

I think it is good advice to write from G in the stave upwards in the main, there should be little need to write lower than that for sop - even in ten part arrangements.

At the top, I would say top A and Bb should be comfortable for most sop players. Top B and C are OK for some but are less likely to be played consistently and in tune so I would avoid them unless you really need them.

15. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

There's a new Lovatt-Cooper piece, dunno if it's been published yet called Enter the Galaxies.

Sop finishes on Top D.

16. Thirteen Ball

There was a top Db in Coventry variations and a top C in Voyage of discovery too.

Both had a few 1st section sop players slightly worried....

17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

This could go on a while.....Pastime with Good Company (should) finish on a very loud top D...don't often hear it though....

18. Thirteen Ball

That's the one that's written for BBb Basses to finish on a top G as well.

You more often get the note two, or even three octaves below going in instead though...