attending contests..

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by sparkling_quavers, Dec 28, 2003.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I was just reading the 4bars article "Attending contests" based on "The Brass Band" by Harold Hind written in 1934. 4bars said "Some 70 years after it was written it remains amazingly topical. Some things certainly have not changed!"

Makes interesting reading- my fave bit "at rehearsals, pencils should be in evidence" hehe where's the band pencil????

Here's the link
    http://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2003/art355.asp

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Brass Band
    4bars
    Harold Hind
    Brass
    fave bit
  3. winterman

winterman Member

Great read..

What a cracking read!! Hard going while trying to watch Cirque del Soliel on TV tho..

So simple and too the point, covering all the bits we so often forget in the run up to a contest!

Speaking of pencils, must go out and pick up some for our bench! (with erasers of course! :wink: )

The bit that made me smile is about the Adjudicators. Would be more uptodate if it read something like...

"More often than not the decision of the judge is not a popular one, but it must always be borne in mind that he, with the score in front of him, is in really a much more favourable position to judge than the member of the audience who has merely an uncorrected copy of the score. " :evil:

Winterman
    Principle Euphonium
    Drighlington Band

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I always bring a pencil to band practice.

Unfortunately I keep leaving it in my trombone case.... :(

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

maybe you have got the mysterious backrow pencil which seems to have disappeared!

6. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

In preparation for States this Easter, i went out and bought everyone ine band a pencil.

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We have a stock of band pencils and a self-appointed pencil monitor.

In keeping with the our corporate identity we have them all embossed with the band's initials.

D

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Nice one, Dave!

I always keep a pencil in my work jacket pocket, so it is there for practice. When Stewart Gaudion was bandmaster at Cambridge Heath he would always insist that people had pencils and marked the parts clearly. You may well remember what was done and said in practice, but that is no use if you're not there and someone else is covering the part.

9. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

GMB been's told they have all Christmas holidays to mark every bar and highlight dynamcs, key changes etc...Band sargents will be enforcing that in the New Year

10. Trom41821

Trom41821 Member

Absolutely (sp) brilliant! Well spotted. I've just sent the link to our MD for her consideration :shock:

11. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

someone from our band went to ikea, and as they were walking round, they picked up loadsa pencils and then took em to band with em so they then became band pencils.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Brass Band
    4bars
    Harold Hind
    Brass
    fave bit
  13. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I nearly always have a pencil with me, trouble is I never take a pencil sharpner which is not very good when the lead snaps! :(
    Must be something to do with all the scribble on my parts!

14. leisa

leisa Active Member

:oops: :oops:

i sometimes have a pencil

15. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

Our second cornets have taken to tying their pencil to the stand with a piece of string to stop the rest of the back row nicking it! :)

|trouble is, the string is a little too short to reach the all of the music without taking it off the stand :shock:

16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

its the best place to go for band pencils!!!!! :evil:

17. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Being a teacher, my band are always supplied with lovely school pencils!

18. davidsait

davidsait Member

Being a government funded postgraduate student, I'd like to thank you all for providing the pencils for my band!

19. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

No wonder our schools are doing so badly when they have to spend most of thier money on pencils that bands use, but guess it doesn't matter when they don't know how to write anyway! :wink:

20. horn1

horn1 Member

Is your school rich or something Laura?? I've never got enough to go round at school (but I always keep a pencil in my gig bag, whether I remember to take it out and use it is an other matter!)

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I seem to lose at least 1 pencil a month at band - but its always the same people who borrow them :? What do they do, eat the flipping things?!

Most of the article could have been written this year - I'm not sure whether its reassuring or just plain worrying that things haven't really evolved in 70 years!

I especially liked the instructions to listen to other bands "The faults and virtues of other bands themselves constitute a good lesson" (ok, own up - who just spends the whole day in the bar?), and that "The decision of the adjudicator should be received with true sporting feeling" Yeah, right!!!

22. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Since we rotated the band through 90 degrees I appear to have not only lost my prime seat by the heater, but also BOTH of my pencils! Luckily my Mam and Dad went to Ikea last weekend and have restocked me.

If I remember rightly Pythagoras doesn't steal pencils from school, only whiteboard markers!! Not great for annotating music!!