Attempted email fraud - "phishing" for eBay

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by rutty, Jan 9, 2005.

1. rutty

rutty Active Member

I got this email today:

It's a fake. eBay will never send you mail like this - read this page:

The link within the email will just direct you to a false site which looks like the eBay signing in page where they will capture your account name and password. You really don't want that to happen.

Always, always make sure that you enter the ebay site (or other auctions sites or similar) directly from your own favourites/bookmarks or from typing in the URL yourself. This also goes for online banking sites - I've seen mails reportedly from Halifax and other banking institutions trying to do the same thing.

This was a public service announcement.... ;)
  2. rutty

rutty Active Member

OK, I'd reported that email to eBay and I've had a reply:

Be Alert. Your country needs lerts ;)
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I've kept an entirely separate e-mail account just for my e-bay, online banking etc...

It always tips me off as a spoof e-mail when I get one from e-bay to our everyday e-mail address (the one I did not use when registering the account)!!
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I get that email at least once a week. I always report them to Ebay. Funny thing is, my mobile recognises it as spam but outlook doesn't. Just started getting a paypal spoof email regularly too. I got one last week pretending to be Capital one, thing is, I don't even have a capital one card!!
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

It looks like eBay are doing something about this - there's a new area being set up within eBay called "my messages" - read more about it here. All e-mail correspondence from eBay (apart from password reset info I presume) will be sent to users' "my messages" inbox instead of their e-mail address - this is to ensure that users recognise genuine messages.
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

How random.........

In the last 12 hours I've had 4 'phishing' emails saying they were from 'Bank of the West' which serves 16 states from Wisconsin to California. Thing is, I've never even been to the states, let alone set up a bank account over there!!

Idiots :confused: :confused:
  8. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

Yup, and I've received phishing emails purporting to be from Lloyds TSB bank. Similarly odd, as they don't have branches in the US that I'm aware of.