At What Age

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Jul 19, 2005.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

At what age were you when you played at your first SOLO CONTEST.& VENUE
    What Piece did you play ?
    What Instrument did you play?
    Were you in the prizes?

I was 10.Leicestershire Miners Welfare 1975
    To A Wild Rose
    Baritone
    Came 9th/35
    Adjudicator was ROBERT WATSON

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SOLO CONTEST.
    35Adjudicator
    VENUEWhat Piece
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I played Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes at a contest in Hereford somewhere. Maybe in 1993, although not sure, that's a bit of a guess). I don't think there were many of us in it but if the date is right I was beaten by my 8 year old sister by one mark - thanks Elin (she played Sweet and Low I think)

4. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Can remember where or when;

But I was about 6, I played Shipmates O'Mine on the tenor horn...

5. Di

Di Active Member

Can't remember the venue
    Baritone
    Autumn song
    4th, can't remember how many.
    Stephen Shimwell

6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Have a vague memory of competing in an Eisteddfod, must have been about 7 or 8. Not on brass though, on piano...

Didn't get anywhere near the money...
    BMB
    xx

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I've never competed with a brass solo in my 10/11 year playing career, and don't intend to do so in the near future!! But I did enter Cornwall County Music Festival in March 1996 (when I was 8 ), playing Imagine by John Lennon on the electronic keyboard. I came second out of around twenty or so, with 87 marks! The adjudicator was David Patrick. :biggrin:

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Erm... at my music competition playing Sylvia on my tenor horn.. got 1st/20.. I was well shocked.

9. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Dudley Music Festival 98 I think? Won the brass solo grade 4-5 with Ragamuffin on the cornet.

10. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Just been looking through all my old adjudications and the earliest one I can find is from July 1990 when I was 9.

It was the Poynton (Royal Mail Letters) Band Slow Melody Contest and I played The Last Rose of Summer on cornet and the adjudicator was Alan Lawton. It doesn't mention a placing so I guess I wasn't in the top 3 :( - I can't remember anything about it at all to be honest!

I'm almost certain that I would have played in at least one solo competition prior to this - Royal Buckley Town, my first band, had their own solo competitions - but I can't find an adjudication to confirm.

11. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Think mine mightve been in 1987 when I was 9.
    Competing in the "Kinytre Music Festival" at Lorne Street Church, Campbeltown, playing "Three Famous Melodies", on my wee old tuba!!
    Dont remember who ajducticated, where I came or how many notes I actually got right!!! (That still seems to be the case these days 2!!) :rolleyes:

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SOLO CONTEST.
    35Adjudicator
    VENUEWhat Piece
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Wow Ian that's a hellava question...:biggrin:

For me I reckon it was the Ancient Order of Foresters Inner Band Solo Contest circa 1984 with Ray Farr in the box...as I remember I played Eidlewiess (on cornet) and came second or third.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've only ever taken part in two solo competitions: the first one was in Slough(I think) at the age of around 14. I was playing alto sax and played an arrangement of some Purcell, being judged by Avril Dankworth, bassoon player and sister of Johnny.

My only brass contest came about 3 years later in the Midlands, where I played "Ransdomed" on baritone. No great success on either occasion, but helpful comments from the adjuducators each time.

15. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Mine was erm 1995 at Bideford Solo and Quartet Contest in the 9 and under age group, I was 9 and I played the first half of Bless this House twice:tongue: on the cornet and I came 3rd out of 9 players! I never won anything since though :tongue:

16. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I was 9
    Been playing 6 weeks!
    Played My Heart Will Go On :rolleyes:
    At Groby Contest - 3rd October 1999.
    Paul Northey Adjudicating.
    Came 3rd out of 14 in the under 11s group. :)

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Never played a solo at one, but a few years back, myself and Abigail Henderson (now with Deiniolen, I believe) duetted and played the 2nd and 3rd movements of Horovitz' Concertino Classico at a solo and quartet contest. I think it was at Hainault (Essex) and we came either 2nd or 3rd. I think! (Vague memories..... sigh!)

18. backrowbloke

backrowbloke Member

25 years and sucessfully never played in a solo contest, or played solo with my bands either :)

Never had the inclination to.

However, my daughter....
    aged 9, Dudley Music festival, won junior section last year on cornet :clap:

19. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

Well i have never had the courage to play a solo until this year.

Only a little one though.

Preston Contest Feb 2005
    Facets of glass
    Baritone solo - 3rd movement

Had moved onto baritone from front row cornet 5 weeks before.

We didnt win, but i did get 'well done solo baritone' in the remarks [​IMG]

I was rather happy with that, so i decided to have a drink or 10 to celebrate.

moved back home onto horn soon after that.

20. andyp

andyp Active Member

A very dim memory, but I think it was either Preston or Rivington+Adlington slow melody, aged about 8, probably the Lost Chord, and I definitely didn't win anything (took me till I was 12 or 13, I think!)