Astronomy question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

Any clever clogs out there able to tell me what the 2 bright stars/planets are that I could see during one of my patrols in the early hours of this morning.

There's a big one with a little one below it, over in the Eastern bit of sky.

Was hoping it was an alien invasion to add a bit of excitement, or a wayward plane trying to land on us and take out one of the prison wings.. (no such luck!)
    But soon worked out it was something that should be up there.

But what?

I passing patrol man said to me he was waiting for the 3 wise men to arrive and I said he shouldn't hold his breath , and there wasn't much chance of a virgin either!!!

Would appreciate an answer in next hour or so , then i can go back in tonight and show off my knowledge of the universe!
    :D

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm no expert, but my friend Google seems to indicate that it may be Venus and Jupiter, both visible throughout Novemeber, especially just before dawn:

http://www.dustbunny.com/afk/skymaps/

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

One of them is definitely Venus (it is always around at sunrise or sunset - depending on the astronomical calendar). The other usually varies between mars or Jupiter. I'd imagine Peters source probably has it right, I haven't had a chance to check.

4. ju33les

ju33les Member

Thank you Peter! Oh and BBCBari!!!

5. ju33les

ju33les Member

;) you clever clogs you!