Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Sep 25, 2003.

Do you believe in Astrology?

1. No

2. Yes

0 vote(s)
  1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I used to have a theory that you can't be both a sensible, intelligent, sane human being and believe in this twaddle, but I now know some people whose opinions I respect (including some banders :cry: ) who believe this stuff or at least read it. Please reassure me that generally people in bands are logical rational people who scorn all this star sign stuff and 'under the influence of Jupiter :roll: '

Am not trying to cause offence. If anybody does believe in Astrology can they attempt to explain it as I am utterly at a loss.
  2. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I think that you are right and those that 'rely' on astrology to rule their lives are under the influence of Uranus
  3. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

I don't live my life by Astrology although do admit to reading my horoscopes - but doesn't everyone????
  4. groovy

groovy Active Member

I don't really believe it, I wouldn't let it rule my life, though horoscopes are fun. I like the idea of star signs too, I'm a typical Libran! :wink:
  5. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

To quote Patrick Moore (I think):

All astrology proves is that there is one born every minute!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Surely things such as 'typical Libran' are examples of a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you think you conform to a certain set of characteristics then you will. I would never read my star sign, on the basis that that would encourage people to write/invent the things and get paid for it! I could do that, invent 12 random things at a time and make them sufficiently vague for people to think they've happened. What about people who were born near midnight on a day the signs change? Do star signs take account of changing from GMT to BST? What about the switch from Julian calender to Gregorian? Do the planets know if its a leap year?
  7. On the Horn

On the Horn Member

I take each day as it comes personally and dont take notice of any of that stuff, but do admit to reading the odd one. I'm sure there is truth to some but half of them are more than likely fakes. Either way I dont really care.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Equally, have you ever tried reading out the wrong star sign's horoscope to someone who is a firm believer? Sure enough, they will often say that it fits them to a T :!: :!: :!:
  9. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

i agree! :lol:
  10. leisa

leisa Active Member

i read my star sign it's just a bit of fun i wouldn't live my life by it or anything thats a bot extreme really! :?
  11. twigglet

twigglet Member

Yep, i'm one of those hypocritical people who think its a load of twoddle but get it e-mailed to me every week!! Its a girl thing I think.... tells you you're going to meet some tall, dark, handsome stranger that is going to sweep you off your feet, its a nice idea to believe! :wink:
  12. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

same here. always read horoscopes in papers an if it applies to me i think wow an if it doesn't then i don't take it in - bit stupid, but thats how i suppose they get people to believe in them. They're bound to apply to everyone at some point.
  13. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I'll see you at whychavon, Elin :wink:
    I'm tall, dark and strange. 3 out of 4's not bad
  14. twigglet

twigglet Member

:wink: cheeky!
  15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I read my star sign, and sometimes some of it's true. But most of the time the rest of it is rubbish. I think i'm kinda 50/ 50 on the matter.
  16. timbloke

timbloke Member

Speak to geordiecolin :wink: ...(did I really say that)

Actually, i always read my horoscope cos i think it is funny. And i disagree with Daniel on no such thing as a "typical Libran", i'm sure there is a connection between when in the year you are born and the type of person you are, surely there is a difference between someone who's most influential few months of childhood development are in the exciting run up to christmas/the struggle of financial mess after christmas/the outdoors of the summer of the indoors of the winter. Also I know a lot of people who have similar characteristics and are of the same star sign...

Star signs are not rules but i think there is some small truth/guidence, just you lot have lost your sense of dreams and hopes.

well that's what i think anyway.
  17. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

I suppose I can sort of see the stuff about what time of year you grow up in, and this will also influence whether you are old or young in your year at school which might affect your development but I still think that assigning certain dates to these things is really stupid, and do people notice the similarities in character of people with the same star sign before or after they know that those people have the same star sign, and do they also have similar character traits as people who have different star signs?

The trouble with a lot of this stuff is that people who believe in it are unwilling for it to be subjected to proper scientific rigour. If people could prove that 2 people born on the same date or when 2 planets were in allignment will share specific character traits then I'll change my opinion. Till then scepticism is the only way to go.
  18. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Hmmmm..... 10 voters that believe in astrology, but only 1 posting arguing the case, and even that is conditional. Speaks volumes methinks.

Come on guys, be brave, and see if you can convince the rest of us?!
  19. timbloke

timbloke Member

Yes. When little kate (killamarsh bass tromb) told me she was a scorpio, i wasn't surprised. she shared many characteristics with other female scorpios i know. its hard to explain really.

as for scientific proof, that isn't really the point of horoscopes and astrology. I don't think any astrologer will say that their predictions are fact, merely interpretation of a situation. therefore it would be impossible to prove it scientifically. I think the problem is that those who don't accept astrology take it too seriously and think that it is claiming to be the ultimate truth... chill out daniel....
  20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anything to do with a sting in the tail, by any chance :?: :wink: :lol: