ASDA & Tesco

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Sep 16, 2005.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Thank goodness for the likes of ASDA and Tesco (very clever marketing may be their only reason for doing so, but I don't give a flying fig about their reasoning) for taking a step in the right direction towards a bit of fuel price common sense!! :clap:

Long may the price drops continue!!
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Indeed Crawf... I noticed petrol here at £0.99.9p / l the other day... ridiculous, totally ridiculouos.
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more :clap:

I pass about 9 petrol stations on my way to work. Today the most expensive was 99.9p and the cheapest - Tesco at 93.9p.

It won't be long before everyone else is going to be compelled to follow suit.

But let's not get carried away. Good sign though it is - the fuel price in this country is still damned expensive. At least it appears to be heading the right way.
  4. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I bet those people who queued for an hour to keep their tanks topped up "just in case there's a crisis" feel pretty stupid now.

How I laughed......:p
  5. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

in Batley Tesco the petrol was 90.9p on Saturday...then 200yards down the road was a BP garage selling it at 97.8p. Twas very odd!
  6. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Good news indead!

It really is a farce that Gordon Brown doesnt look out of his window at the real world to see what going on and what the people have to say about day to day running of things in this country.

The price at our local pumps has went down from £1.01 to 95p yesterday, :clap: (theres only the 1 petrol station in Campbeltown, the next is 30mile up the one and only road into Kinytre, again prob why its so expensive.)

Around the West Highlands and Islands prices were, or at least if not more:

Colonsay Island £1.15!
    Mull Island £1.05 - £1.11
    Bomore on Islay Island £1.02 ( Gordon Browns home Island!!)
    Tiree Island £1.05
    Coll Island £1.09
    Campbeltown £1.01

Dont see why I should pay more just cos we're stuck out in the middle of nowhere and are dependent on cars. As somebody said yesterday, a can of beans costs the same elsewhere in the country, why should fuel be different when both still get carted down the road?!

We pay far too much tax on fuel, thats just the height of it, especially whens there no need to. :mad: :mad: :mad:

When ah was a lad, 10yrs ago I was travelling to college and it was 48p p/litre at the pumps...!
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sheesh... that has made me feel old now cos I remember the national outcry when petrol went over £1.00/gallon :confused::eek::eek:
  8. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I was in Guernsey 3 weeks ago and it was 57p...yes 57p a litre!
  9. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Agreed, but if he doesn't get the tax revenue from fuel it'll be coming out of your pocket in some other way... ;)
  10. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Bill, where did you extract this nugget of information from? I was always led to believe that he was born in Glasgow then grew up in Kirkcaldy where he went to high school. Just interested... :)

11. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

True, but because duty on fuel is calculated as a percentage the treasurery is getting heaps more now due to the increase in the cost of oil than [say] 6 years ago.
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Nice piece in the Evening Standard (London and home counties) a few days ago about the cheapest and most expensive petrol in London.

Surprisingly enough the cheapest was at 90p although this didn't say if there were any parts of a decimal, and these were located in two superstores in a little hamlet called Beckton, about 0.5 miles from where I live, and this was before the announcement to cut prices. The most expensive was on the Kings Road in Chelsea, where some rip off merchant was charging 129 english pennies per litre. I think that at that price it is more expensive for a litre there, than a gallon in the US of A, I'm sure some of our friends across the pond could see if that is the case.

Must say though that this doesn't affect me in ther slightest as I use public transport or walk wherever I go. Might be because I don't have a DL :eek:
  13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

When I was in Detroit 2 weeks ago, just after Katrina, the prices were about $3,25 per gallon. I think that's 1,80 pound per gallon (0.5 pound per liter) or something in that range
  14. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

A great many of our taxes / duties are calculated as a percentage (e.g. income tax, VAT, NI) so fuel isn't really such an exception.
  15. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Ach prob wrong as usual, but Im thot he was from there or grew up there or even had links to there, it doesnt really matter, he's still a robbing b******!! Am prob thinking on somebody else...
  16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Bear in mind when doing the sums (Jan has taken this into account anyway) that a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon - 80% of an Imperial - so you need to multiply this price by 1.25 before making the actual comparison.

gallon = 8 pints

Imperial pint = 20 fl oz
    US Pint = 16 fl oz

Imperial gallon = 160 fl oz = 4.545 litres
    US gallon = 128 fl oz = 3.636 litres (liters :) )

In Detroit you would have been paying $0.89 / litre.

$ / Imperial gallon = $4.06 = Damned cheap compared to here :D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  17. 2nd man down

I think it's absolutely disgusting the way that the people of this country get clobbered so hard with Taxes for every essential commodity we need when our supposed equals on the continent enjoy a much cheaper standard of living. The difference in qualities of life, weighed against the vast difference in taxes we appear to pay just don't seem to add up somehow!
  18. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I find myself deeply offended by your description of my local MP as a robbing b******. I have been a cat burglar for 15 years now and will not be categorised alongside slimy politicians!

R Obber

19. 2nd man down

LMFAO :clap: :D :p
  20. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, I didn't even now about that! I just thought a gallon was about 3.5 liters. Apparently that's a US gallon then...

Long live the metric system! :p