AS Level Music Exam (Edexcel)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 5010 Hn, Jun 6, 2005.

1. 5010 Hn

5010 Hn New Member

How was it for you?

Thought the listening paper was ok, although question 4 was difficult (naming chords, etc). Dont know where they found that jazz version of Taras theme for Accordion, but it was dreadful!!!!

Anthology paper seemed quite good, although once again the way they worded the questions was a separate exam in itself. Wish these examiners would write in simple English!!!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Taras
    English
    Edexcel
    Accordion
    Level Music Exam
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

I hated the cheesy 80s pop song.. it was sooo crap, and I didn't know what it was on about... but the Accordion rocked..!

The questions were ok, although I didn't like the 14 marker for 20th Century Art Music, they were all compare!

4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I was invigilating today and what you heard was Chicago after they lost it...I'm sure Timbone would agree with me (It was "Hard to Say" I'm Sorry BTW)...could almost be considered the day the music died ;-)

PJH

5. HBB

HBB Active Member

I used to work in Chicago..! :D

6. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

I met the chief examiner who sets the questions a few months ago; he told me that the music excerpts used for the exam are all out of his CD collection at home.

Its SO typical of him to have that Chicago hit! Could have asked some nicer questions though, than what are the chords in bar 9-10!!

Anthology questions all appeared to be much the same, regardless of the question answered (although I thought the Film/TV ones looked a bit simpler! What do you think, Ben?)

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe, the ET question rocked.. it was rather good, although I got stuck comparing barrington Pheloung's work to On the Waterfront! :eek:

8. yay!it was an accordion!

All the 14 marks questions are compare!that's the point!i fort most of listenin was ok...but figured out one chord Id written the wrong answer!and I kno it now!as soon as I handed in the paper i figured it out!but o well!think i messed up on some of the easier questions(i always look for the hard stuff!) but the harder ones (3 and 4) i think went ok. I did sacred vocal music and popular music and jazz.......pick the one piece for me to analyse that I didn't know anything about...locus iste!altho i fink was fairly str8forward....thank goodness they didn't ask about symphony of psalms!lol:clap:

9. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

My friend re-took his as level exam this morning. He said it was okay, but slighty harder than last year...but that's probably because they only had a couple of lessons on the pieces this year, whereas last year we had the whole year! :)

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

No.

I remember a mock we did that was outline how you can tell Stravinsky's Pulchinella Suite isn't baroque.

11. ouch....how it isnt baroque...

:confused: that musta bin a nice lil question 4 u der! I do think that this years exam was harder than last years, but that's only my opinion from doing them as mocks!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Taras
    English
    Edexcel
    Accordion
    Level Music Exam
  13. ouch....how it isnt baroque...

:oops: :oops: lol

Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  14. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

No harpsichord!???..... ;)

I had a few pupils re-taking their AS, they all agreed this years exam was easier than last years- but my feeling is that they were better prepared this year, so perhaps it wasnt actually any easier.

15. flower girl

flower girl Member

it wasn't as bad as i'd expected it to be. i just found the anthology paper boring cos i hate Berio's sequenza 4 female voice, if any one else covered that i'm sure u'll agree its horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Hehe, Berio's Sequenza was hillarious... just really hard to analyse!