As/A level History

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Feb 20, 2004.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

foolishly i have taken this subject (as level) and i was wondering if anyone else did it?

im doing the russian revolution and the tudors!

got some nasty essays coming up (yes im doin one now)

so yeh 323 words.

KEK :roll:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    im doin
    russian revolution
    level History
    subject
    yeh
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

maybe my history is all wrong, but what did the tudors have to do with the russian revolution?
    no wonder you've only got 323 words..

4. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Hi Kate.

I'm currently in the 2nd Year of a history degree so i've been through all the A level History.

My particular areas of study are modern European, and i wrote a particularly scholarly essay on China and Mao's Cultural Revolution too!
    Its great fun, very interesting.

If you have any queries at all or need any help or anything please feel free to PM me and i'll try to be of assistance. :D Even if its just to proof read an essay.
    I'm pretty mad on history so i'll enjoy the challenge! :D

May i inquire as to the question of your Russian Revolution essay???

:wink:

5. twigglet

twigglet Member

I did AS and A level history and also did the Russian Revolution bit (which i thought was very interesting btw), and at uni am still doing eastern european studies along with politics. So if you want a hand I'm full of useless Lenin and Stalin information and have lots of essays on the 'puter.. and would be only to pleased to share it! :D

6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

I did history a level last year - are u doing tudor rebellions? henry viii and wolsey? think those were the 2 tudor bits....possibly another 2! did america instead of russia, but if can help will try!

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I'm doing History AS-level at the moment.
    We're doing the Russian Revolution and Nazi Germany.
    Russia's quite interesting but did Nazi Germany at GCSE so am getting very bored! :?

8. The Cornet King

Oh Alex...how can you possibly get bored with the Third Reich!

At A level i know we covered the Russian Revolution (in fact we covered all 3 of 'em...1905, Feb 1917 and Oct 1917)...blooming Russians... :roll: We covered Russian history from 1861 (emancipation of the serfs) to the 1970s and the Brezhnev reign.

We also did British politics from the end of the 19th century to the 1960s.

In't History Brilliant! :D

9. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

It's just we're just going over the same stuff we did at GCSE, so what's the point!? Lol :lol: We're not learning anything new, just the same old stuff like propoganda, policies etc, etc, yak, yak, yak! *YAWN* :roll:
    Russia's really interesting because we haven't done it before, but N.G just makes me feel tired and bored in lessons! :?

10. Soppy

Soppy Member

I'm doing Stalinist Russia at AS, so it covers a bit of the revolution, but not much :roll: But we also do USA 1919-1930 and Weimar Germany. Even though I did Nazi and Weimar Germany last year, I'd love to do Nazi Germany again! I just find it sooooo interesting.

11. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

why did the communists win the civil war 1917-1921?

not tudors WITH the russian rev,

yes wolsey, and any helpfull essays wud be great!!

any other questions?

Kel

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    im doin
    russian revolution
    level History
    subject
    yeh
  13. mad_female

mad_female Member

Hi

I did GCSE and A level history and also have a degree in modern european history (1789-1945) including the weimar republic and the russian revolution...bit rusty now as graduated 7 years ago but PM me if you have any questions you think I may be able to help you with.

Rhian :lol:

Mad_female

14. The Cornet King

Kate,

send me a PM and i'll give you some of my knowledge on the topic.
    Would be happy to read your final essay too. :D

Chris

15. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

I did Russian history at A-level - and enjoyed it! Not sure there's much point in me offering to help, though; I can't remember most of it. In truth, I couldn't remember most of it in the exam, and only got a D! :hammer

As for useless Lenin/Stalin info...a couple of years back I worked on the production team for a musical about Stalin (yes, you heard me right!), so I have plenty of useless Lenin/Stalin songs! :shock: Maybe you could try singing your essay for extra marks....

Dave

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I did History AS Level, and I enjoyed it ... but because of a clash with music I had to miss one lesson a week and consequently only got an E ... oh well, good benefit for my music ... :)

17. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Im dropping history next year
    I want to see this musical thou!!!

Kel

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Didn't the newly-established trading connections between the Elizabethan court and that of Ivan IV help to set up the accession of the Romanov dynasty in 1613? Without the Romanovs, the Revolution(s) would have been a little pointless.

:D

Dave

19. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I took history for AS and Alevel, currently in my final year. I didn't do the same topics as you though. We did Galdstone and Disraeli, German Reformation and Britain 18something in AS. At the moment I'm doing/trying to do my final coursework on Martin Luther and the Peasants War -4000words-which isnt a lot but it means you have to pick only the really important stuff to put in and its got to contain at least 10 contemporary and independant sources

20. twigglet

twigglet Member

The communists won the civil war because although there was huge opposition the Russian and International Opposition were not united and were unprepared. Mainly Trotsky was a brilliant strategist and used the old bourgeois army generals to train the army of peasants. Kind of a strength of Trotsky and weakness of opposition style of essay...

21. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Hi Kate.

I'm doing AS History now, but i'm not doing any of the same topics as you.
    I'm doing the French Revolution- Napoleon etc. and Britain 1815-something else-can't remember exact date at the mo!

I did GCSE last year and really loved it!! AS is good but we get a lot of work for it. It's not that it is really difficult, it's just time consuming. I am enjoying it though. I would love to be doing about Stalin and also about Nazi Germany etc. because we did that for GCSE and I loved it!! Soooooo interesting and i would love to do it in more detail.

Has anyone read the book Stalingrad??

Sorry that this post was no help to your essay Kate! just me droning on again :roll:

:)

22. The Cornet King

Well History gets better the further down the academic line you go.
    Stalin is fabulous especially when comparing Stalinism to Leninism.

Too many people (and it isnt helped by the fact that this is all that seems to be taught in schools) think Hitler is just about WW2 and propoganda etc. Hitler's rise to power, his foreign policy and the way he achieved what he did by transforming Germany in 6 years makes him arguably one of the greatest political leaders in History.

I've never read Stalingrad though! :cry:
    :shock: Look at me waffling on...you shouldn't get me started on History...could talk clucking hens to death! :D