Arutjunjan Trumpet Concerto

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by waynefiler, Aug 14, 2006.

1. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

I'm hoping to do the LTCL performance diploma sometime in the near future:clap: but having trouble finding anything on Arutjunjan himself or anything about the concerto.:oops:

Does anyone out there know anything about him? or
    Performed the concerto and got any notes I could take a look at? or
    Know any decent websites where i cound find some info on him and the concerto?
    :rolleyes: :confused:
    Any help will very greatful

Thanks all

IOT, HM

2. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

There's an article on him on the German version of Wikipedia.

Basically, it seems Alexander Arutjunjan was born in Yerevan, Armenia on 23rd September 1920. In 1934, he began studying composition and piano at the conservatoire in Yerevan. In 1941 these studies were interrupted and he didn't resume them until 1944 in Moscow. He returned home to Yerevan in 1946 on the completion of his studies where he composed the two pieces that really made his name the "Cantata of my homeland" (1948 ) and the Trumpet Concerto (1950). In 1954 he was appointed as a tutor of composition at the conservatoire in Yerevan and in 1977 he was appointed Professor of composition.

His music is influenced by Armenian folk-music but also borrows heavily from the Baroque and Romantic periods.

He was still composing at the end of the 1990's (having written a Tuba Concerto in 1992 and a Trombone Concerto in 1991).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Wouldn't that be at the beginning of the 1990's, not the end? :)

I didn't know he'd written a tuba concerto. Like to hear that one sometime.

4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

I believe it was written for the Russian virtusos Timofei Dok****ser (I think that's how you spell his name:confused: ), who wrote the cadenza that is used in the published version. He died last year in Vilnius, Lithuania.

5. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Any idea if it's been recorded?

6. Anno Draconis

Blast, stymied by the bleep filter. His surname is Dokshizer with the "z" pronounced as "ts", as in German!

Found a website, but I can't find a mention of the Arutiunian concerto.

7. Anno Draconis

I'm pretty sure that Marsalis has recorded it, I'll try and find out. There is a recording of the Brass Band arrangement of the accompaniment (by Michael Antrobus, I think) on the 1987 Gala Concert recording, played by Rod Franks.

EDIT: Found this, on Amazon

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  8. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

OK, for clarity ;).

He was still composing at the end of the 1990's, having written concertos for the tuba and the trombone earlier in the decade.

9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

the trumpet or tuba concerto recording you are looking for?
    If your looking for a recording of the trumpet concerto Rod Franks recorded it on his cd saving face , it's also on the 1987 National Finals Gala concert recording ( Polyphonic)
    the tuba concerto can be obtained from editions BIM in switzerland there is a recording by Harri Lidsle.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ref.: MILS9651
    Oulu Symphony Orchestra
    Concertos
    for tuba, horn and trombone Details

Harri Lidsle, tuba
    Esa Tukia, horn
    Erkki Hirsimäki, trombone

Atso Almila, conductor
    Price: CHF 30.00
    € 19.80 US$ 24.90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

www.editions-bim.com

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  10. hornyas

hornyas Member

On the Trumpet Concerto, Maurice Andre recorded it on the Errato label (which is a fantastic rendition), and I know there have also been recordings done by Maurice Murphy and Hakan Hardenberger.

11. hornyas

hornyas Member

Oh, and also try searching under lots of different versions of his name: Arutjunjan, Arutunian, Arrutunian, Arutunnian, etc, etc.

12. joelrn

joelrn Member

There's a good recording by Bibi Black: CD title Soviet Trumpet Concertos.
    It was once suggested to me that the piece depicts the plight of an Armenian soldier returning from battle, finding out his wife had been killed in the war etc. The definied sections are representative of mental state and emotion I think wasd the basic message.

13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

It was not written for Maestro Dokshizer, it was written for his friend Aikaz Mesiayan, who also premiered it. However, Dokshizer did perform it over 200 times during his life.

You can obtain a CD containing his interpretation of this piece through the International Trumpet Guild website - http://www.trumpetguild.org/products/recordings/index.htm - this is THE interpretation to follow, according to every trumpet authority I have heard talk about this piece.

Maurice Murphy has also recorded this piece, as has Jim Watson (the latter using brass band accompaniment)

14. Anno Draconis

Aah, my mistake - apologies :oops: . Thanks for clearing that up.

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

WRONG! I have the sleevenotes from the CD Maurice Murphy played it on (Favourite Trumpet Concertos, 1990. Collins Quest 30082)

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Other recordings include Roger Webster, Arturo Sandoval & Sergei Nakariakov.

17. trumpetmike

Our CDs disagree then - mine is taken from Russian Treasures, played by Timofei Dokshizer, published by the ITG:
    "The Alexander Arutunian Concerto's genesis is often mistakenly attributed to Dokshizer. Although he edited the trumpet part and wrote the cadenza for this work, which was accepted by the composer, the Concerto was written for Dokshizer's friend, Aikaz Mesiayan. Mesiayan, who premiered Arutunian's endeavour, was also a student of the legendary Russian trumpet professor and teacher Michael Tabokov. Dokshizer has performed this work more than 200 times throughout the world, and it is his interpretation which is held as the standard."

The same story is found in The Memoirs of Timofei Dokshizer - also published by ITG and an essential read if you are looking to further your knowledge of music from that great performer.
    "Neither was the Concerto by Arutunian written for me. It was written for my friend, Aikaz Mesiayan, with whom I studied under Tabokov and with whom I began my service in the army. Mesiayan was the first performer of the Concerto. I edited the trumpet part, wrote a cadenza which was approved by the composer, and performed this concerto more than 200 times on different continents."

Personally, I would take Maestro Dokshizer's own words over the sleeve notes of Peter Avis (yes, I have that recording as well).

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I agree, someone hasn't been telling the truth ... do we believe the comments of the composer or the performer? :-? (... cannot ask either of them since they are both dead!).

19. trumpetmike

What is most important is to hear Maestro Dokshizer playing it - his interpretation is simply incredible and is the only on I listen to when I am preparing or revisiting this piece. I can listen to all the others at other times, but I feel that only Dokshizer truly captures the true spirit of the piece.

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member