Arranging/Harmony Literature

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornyandy, Apr 3, 2012.

1. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Hi Guys,

In an attemt to divert to something more positive. I love playing around on Musecore arranging bits and pieces (hymns and folk songs) as I've alluded to before. Could any one suggest any literature about harmony or arranging which would help me. I'm thinking of tapping eihter my local library or the College Library at St John's (as an ex History student I can get in fairly easily)

Thanks Folks

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Denis Wright's 'Scoring and arranging for brass band' is a good place to start.

Unlikely to give you much help with more contemporary harmony or scoring, but very good for helping iron out bad musical grammar and appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the various combinations of instruments available.
  3. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Andy Duncan has done a book relating to band scoring which is very helpful.
  4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Also the Ray Steadman-Allen book "Colour and Texture in the Brass Band Score" is very good for scoring (has a dedicated section on hymn-tune scoring, which is excellent). Not a harmony textbook, though ...
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Walter Piston's Harmony was the standard text when I was as student. Only really covers "classical" harmony though, not jazz.
  6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

When I was a student we learnt primarily form the William Lovelock books - possibly even more dated than the Piston, but they did offer a solid technical grounding.
  7. cornyandy

cornyandy Member

Thanks for that guys I will be availing myself of library copies forthwith
  8. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

An ancient book to get hold of is "Wind bands and brass bands in school and music centre" by Kevin Thompson (ISBN 0 521 25892 8 hard covers & ISBN 0 521 27750 7 paperback) published by the Press Syndicate of the University of Cambridge, The Pitt Building, Trumpington Street, Cambridge, CB2 1RP it was first published in 1985.

166 pages of interesting reading.