Arrangers/Composers - Up and comers!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Borfeo, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I've been trying to look for some new music for my band, something different and rarely played.

I touched on the idea of buying music from a few "unknown" composers/arrangers. So far I have a wee list of stuff I'd quite like to buy, and I came to wonder who the best unknown composers are today?

So does anybody have any nominations for this? Would be interesting to find peoples opinions, and if any bands actually look around for music by the young whippersnappers.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Composers - Up
    band
    something
    wee list
    idea
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

If you want some music that's a bit different check out some of the stuff Faber music do. Our last two CDs are all their new stuff. Info on the recordings section of the Leyland website www.leylandband.co.uk/recordings.htm

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

one of BOC Brass' arrangers in residence, Iain, arranges for Jagrins.

5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Pete Meechan has done some fine stuff, lthough I'm not sure how much has actually been published yet.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Unknown composers

Bit of a conundrum there - the best unknowns? If you were good, wouldn't you be known?

You could try some of my stuff if you'd like - on sale through Headline Music :D
    I'm not well known but I think I'm quite good. :oops: Sorry, a bit immodest there.

I like Frank Hughes' music. He's extremely good. He's also teaching me at the moment.

7. Pete Meechan

Pete Meechan Member

Re: Unknown composers

I see what you are trying to say, however....

Are you saying that everyone who is good is known?

Are you also saying that unknowns are not good?

8. Ste69

Ste69 Member

Agreed...see this man......some good arrangements (from the ones i've seen anyway... :shock:)

9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

arrangers/composers

If you're good someone will know. If you're bad everyone will know :)
    Seriously, though, if you write good stuff, people will play it - even if it's only your own band. If you write rubbish no one will play it - more than once. Everybody has at least one good tune in them, so hopefully people who want new music will encourage new composers and arrangers to get some written down. BTW, this could lead on to the discussion about photocopying and bands ripping composers off and why there are so few new composers/arrangers and why some of the big publishing houses don't do band music any more...etc.

10. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

:oops: Flattery will get you everywhere guys! - Especially if you buy the two arrangements I'm currently flogging on here(!) http://www.themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=6665

Plug over. Thanks for the comments though guys.... available for weddings, bar mitzvahs etc. etc. No job too big or small.... (cue Beurgh from Aidan)

11. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Were giving a couple of James McFadjens pieces a try although I've not seen him on tMP for a while.We've not played them yet but he kindly sent the parts along.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Composers - Up
    band
    something
    wee list
    idea
  13. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I like to think that MMI Music is a home for "unknowns". I've always subscribed to the theory that most bands have an "in-house" composer/arranger and they don't get a chance because the big boys don't have the time (or money) to experiment. We are also producing our own cds (quick plug for the Jazzcat CD - available £8.50, features Longridge, Zone One and Moulton 77 playing 17 of our pieces) and will be recording the second very shortly with Ibstock Brick Brass.

So, I'm always interested in people sending music to me, I'll always reply promptly (usually within a week of me receiving a score) - you can email Sibelius scores to me at mmi_music@yahoo.co.uk or Finale ETF files to nigel@hall-home67.freeserve.co.uk or post a hard copy to me at the address below and if it's good we'll publish it.

14. Shaun Elliott

Shaun Elliott New Member

We have been delighted and honoured to perform some fantastic arrangements and compositions by Wesley Kendrick, especially on our latest CD, 'Something 2 Celebrate'.

He is gentleman who's music deserves a larger audience.

You can find out more on:-

www.falnamusic.com

15. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

I've had a look at Mr Kendricks stuff before, it's great stuff, might suggest some of it for my other band.

Been great fun having a look at all these different publishers, if there's any more then keep them coming, and thanks dfor the pm's also, they have been more than helpful.

16. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Iain Rayner (tMPer) is a very clever and talented composer and arranger. Can't remember what his user name is however. He wrote a piece called Tsunami a while ago - very evocative. Has a number of works published by the SA as well. Not only does he do all this but he used to be able to play a euphonium on a horse - and got paid for it!!

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Iain Rayner's user name here is Mr Smiler, although he's not posted for a while. The last contact I had with him he explained he would be extremely busy - teacher training, if I remember correctly.

Another "up-an-coming" name I would recommend is Andrew Mackereth. As well as more advanced pieces he has a series aimed at junior bands. His music can be found at Blow and Believe (website just revamped):
    http://home.freeuk.net/believe2/

(If anyone decides to look for Tsunami, remember there is another piece of the same name, written by John(?) Pickard)

18. tim

tim Member

Im not sure pete meechan is up and coming... I think he has arrived!!!Heard his euph concerto recently for the first time and was blown away by some fantastic writing!!!

I think he has some publications coming out very soon in paticulary his euph concerto! You'd have to ask the man himself though.

19. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Watch out for Alex Caldon! Ex conductor of East London Brass, exceelent arranger and composer. Tried some out on ELB a couple of years back and very well received by the players.

tMP's own MRSH (who has had a couple of arrangements - at least- published with MMI) is also a highly talented arranger - and an ace proof reader into the bargain (if his mistake spotting of area scores is anything to go by!)

As is the conductor of my ex band Crystal Palace (one Michael Gray - frequent composer and arranger whilst he was with the Scots Guards)

It's amazing how many good 'us are out there who don't normally get in print!

Regards

20. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Theres a great young composer at Salford called Neil Bowden. Both college band and ybs have played works of his, along with EYMS i think. And I believe Jagrins are publishing some of his music soon. :tup

21. winterman

winterman Member

A really good new(ish) composer in the Sally Army is Lieutenant Martin Cordner. Used to play with the ISB and has been writing some pretty amazing stuff since he where ickle.

He composes/arranges a fair few Marches and pieces suitable for smaller bands but when he produces a Festival piece it is a corker (his Toccata featured on Listen to the Band last summer)!!

No this is not just a plug cos he is my second cousin :wink:

Mic Tyler
    Principal Euph
    Drighlington Band

22. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

And how rude of me to forget another tMP-ite, Fulham Brass Band's very own Will the Sec, who recently composed the Fulham Bricklayers' March for us (see band website for link with the Bricklayers' Union - I'm sure you'll find plenty 'mortar' read there....) and is getting it published too!