Arrangement of 'Somewhere'?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by swisscornet, Apr 16, 2010.

1. swisscornet

swisscornet Member

Hi guys,

I am looking for an arrangement of 'Somewhere' from West Side Story. Anyone any idea if there is an arrangement available?

I have looked on www.brassband.co.uk and also asked just music without any success.

Thanks.

Regards,

Claudio Nold

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story
    Claudio Nold
    arrangement available
    West
    Regards
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

IIRC, there used to be a lovely arrangement of this available, but it was pulled by the Bernstein estate. A real shame.
    :(

Think it was by Mark Freeh, but I could be thinking of an entirely different Bernstein piece altogether. I'm going a bit senile in my old age! ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  4. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

There's a suite from West Side Story that includes 'Somewhere' available from Studio Music.

In the Brass Band Archive, there is a manuscript arrangement by Alan Catherall. I don't know if it was ever published, but you might like to contact Mr Catherall and ask him.

5. John_D

John_D Member

I'd love to find an arrangement for soprano cornet solo.

6. andyp

andyp Active Member

It's in the middle of the "Symphonic Dances" from West Side Story, which is a super arrangement by (if Google/IBEW is right) Eric Crees.

7. The Wherryman

I think this is the arrangement that I've already said is available from Studio Music. I don't know whether or not the soprano is featured, though. I would suggest calling Studio Music on 0800 389 2484 or 01582 432139 to ask. They are very helpful.

8. The Wherryman

I have now confirmed that the piece andyp and I have been referring to are one and the same. It's shown on Eric Crees's website here http://www.ericcrees.co.uk/arrangements.html under the heading 'Brass Band'.

It's entitled "Suite from West Side Story" and is Eric Crees's arrangement of Berstein's "Symphonic Dances from West Side Story".

I hope this clears up any confusion there may have been (but I still don't know if the soprano has got a solo in it!)

9. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yes, but strangely this isn't the same as the manuscript version that's been around for years by Crees. Quite disappointed when we bought it this year.

10. andyp

andyp Active Member

Hmmmm, the "proper" version must be out there somewhere, have heard YBS play it (brilliantly) for one. The "Somewhere" bit isn't a sop solo though, Bb cornet start then full band iirc.

11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I heard that one version was, er, rather more "grey" than the other......

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    West Side Story
    Claudio Nold
    arrangement available
    West
    Regards
  13. Di

Di Active Member

A quick "google" of this piece shows that Harrogate Band have "Somewhere" listed in their library.

http://www.harrogateband.org/library.htm

You could perhaps contact them and as if they'd have a quick peek to see who arranged/published it? ;)