Arran Brass - what it's all about

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

It was an almighty wrench to leave Fulham Brass Band when I moved to Arran and believe me when I say I'm missing them already, but I'm certainly happy with Arran Brass. It's a testament to its conductor Ian Cargill, not only to form a band from such a small population (approx. 5,000) and work tirelessly to get decent instruments and teach its members, but the fact that it's now, I believe, in its 23rd year of existence. Sure, it'll never be a Black Dyke. It doesn't compete on a regular basis (costs being a major factor) but it's fun. It's about playing to the collective best of the band's abilities, and it's there and it serves the local community in a number of ways, supplying music for church services, Christmas jobs, Remembrance Day jobs and performances in general to enhance the musical life on the island. Lovely band. lovely people. Can't complain!

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Dave, get a blog together so we can read all about your Arran "Adventures in Brass".

3. aqua76

aqua76 Member

Glad your enjoying life in Arran. Its a great wee place and certainly must be a big change from life 'down saff'
    You have picked a beautiful place to come to.
    I have the good fortune of living across the water from Arran, on the Ayrshire coast.

Ashamed to admit i didnt even know Arran had a band!!

Hope it all goes well for you!

Jane
    Dalmellington Band
    (Troon resident)

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Cheerrs folks. I suppose the band's theme tune ought to be 'Arran'juez mon Amour! :)

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Good to have you back online and good to hear you getting back to brass band roots (as in community banding).

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Cheers, Steve. My contributions will be somewhat fragmented for a while but 'tis good to be back all the same.

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You could always try "Arran"manche instead ;)

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Or any type of T'Arran'tella! :)