Arran Brass - concert - 26th November

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Dave Payn, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yup, my first concert as MD of Arran Brass! It's to be held at Whiting Bay Hall at 7.30 pm.

The programme isn't particularly 'difficult' as such and contains a couple of items that certain members of the audience like to hear at each concert (not necessarily my own choices, but I don't mind! :)) but an important concert for us, nonetheless. The emphasis is on relatively (and I choose that word carefully) straightforward pieces to hopefully please the audience but also to help develop band confidence in ensemble and tuning etc.

The programme will be:

Slaidburn
    All Through The Night
    Georgia On My Mind
    Spread A Little Happiness
    The Snowman (I know, a bit early, but we're not having a dedicated Christmas concert! ;))
    Music of the Night

Bandology
    The Young Amadeus (our fop to the audience!)
    Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue
    Skirl
    Dear Lord and Father of Mankind
    Best of Bond

It's a big ask to say 'Hope to see you there', I admit, so I'll post an honest review here afterwards. Nevertheless, if there is anyone, particularly on the Scottish mainland (I say that because it'll be cheaper to come across from there!) that'd be super. Bear in mind that I can't guarantee the running of the ferries. The weather played havoc with them for a couple of days in the last week! If anyone does fancy coming across though, I'm sure we can put a few up for the night!

The concert's a wee bit short but that's because we fit in the Arran Brass Legendary Supper at the end. Lots to get your teeth into (and possibly out of! :))

Cheers

DP

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  2. bein in west yorkshire it could be difficult for me to get there but best of luck with it, your programs pretty fair so i dont think you'll have any problems, im lookin forward to doing my 1st gig with halifax band as their new MD, not sure when that will be tho, we'll just have to wait and see

gd lk m8 !

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thanks for that and good luck with your new band in Halifax! Got any ideas for your first concert programme yet?

4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

best of luck with the concert Dave:tup

5. Di

Di Active Member

Wahay! Go Dave. :clap: All the best mate.

6. small ideas but until i get a full band i can't really choose coz the band may be of a different level to the pieces i pick

7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Phew! What a night! Given that there was a major article in the local paper about how the previous conductor (Ian Cargill) had begun the band, raised money by running a marthon and doing a sponsored walk and all the history of the band, I have to say I've never felt so damn nervous in my life! But it was very well received. One piece didn't go too well (Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue) but I accept full responsibility for that as I hadn't given it enough rehearsal time, and it was trickier than it looked on paper, certainly for a band of generally limited experience. My fault entirely!

I couldn't fault the band, though. One or two nervy moments but it was largely that, nerves (after all, half the band have only ever experienced one other conductor.... :)). but I was very pleased with how it went. (Particularly the final Best of Bond. Nice arrangement, flashbarry!). A team effort, not one person's. As has been said before, players can make a performance, conductors can ruin them. I'm proud of them all. :) I hope I didn't ruin too much for them! ;).

Next concert will be around the end of April/early May. Some pieces have been 'pencilled' in (from Claudio Monteverdi to The Beatles!), but if anyone fancies coming over to listen, or indeed play either in the band as a guest, or do a guest solo spot, by all means get in touch, be it the next concert or any others.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One down, many more to go ;)

Glad to hear it went off alright :clap:

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Glad to hear your move is going well Dave. :tup

Its always good to hear about bands being well received and i hope the band continues to improve but more importantly the band and audience alike continue to enjoy it.

All the best for the future. :p

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Thank you, Peter and Chris for your messages. The band has become something of an institution on this island over the years. So it's good that all seemingly bodes well for the future (so far.... ;))

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Arran Brass
    Best of Bond It
    MD
    Music of the Night Bandology The Young Amadeus
    Slaidburn All Through The Night Georgia On My Mind Spread A Little Happiness The Snowman
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

That confirms it: we all thought "That Dave Payn belongs in an institution" ;)

13. HBB

HBB Active Member

Nice one Peter! :D

14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Sigh... if only it weren't true...

;) :)

Hey, bunny; did you get my pm? My review of your Gaudete is now online!

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yea I got it... will reply soon! sorry.. really busy!