Arran brass band event?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm looking into the feasibility of running a long brass band weekend here on the Isle of Arran around Easter next year. As the thread's title implies, it would be a brass band 'event' more than a dedicated course, (though there'll be tuition/rehearsals), the idea being to have a blow, have a few beers and find time to enjoy some of the beauty of this isle and basically, have fun!

The recently revamped Kilmory Hall and Bunkhouse on the south of the isle would provide the idea setting for the course, with a concert there at the end, or possibly in Whiting Bay hall which is perhaps better suited to band concerts. The bunkhouse accommodates 22 @ £15 GPB per night with the nearby Lagg Hotel able to take more (or some lucky souls can squeeze in our house!).

Nothing has been booked or planned yet. I'm just seeing if there'd be enough interest to get a reasonably balanced band together and have a good old brass band weekend. It'd probably run from the Thursday to Easter Monday, but if this is going to be a goer, those with cars will need to book on the ferry in PLENTY of time, believe me!

Please PM me if you're interested, and if you are, please could you register your interest a.s.a.p. Many thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easter
    Whiting Bay
    Isle of Arran
    Kilmory Hall
    Bunkhouse
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Dave - I've moved this into Rehearsal Room where it may attract more attention. Wouldn't be able to make it myself but it sounds a great idea ;)

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Dave, I've often thought about taking our band over to Arran for a concert weekend so this sounds like a great idea to me. If you could get maybe two or three bands interested then you could have a festival weekend. Perhaps you should talk to the people that organised the Moray Spirit of Brass festival. Perhaps Visit Scotland would also be helpful or of course the local council.

If it's a goer then count me in on Eb Bass, think I'll stay at the Auchrannie though. :)

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Similarly you may want to talk to the folks who organised Pershore Midsummer Brass down here in 'sunny' Worcestershire. As many peeps on here will testify it was always very well organised, and sounds quite similar to you're idea!
    Sorry, don't have any contact details, but just google the festival and I'm sure you'll find it!

6. Moy

Moy Active Member

Just back from a weeks course in Swansea and have said wish someone in Scotland would organise something here for us. Go man go.:clap:

7. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Wouldn't mind going, but can I get there direct from Belfast, or would it be a case of getting to Stranraer, then up to Largs(?), or wherever?

Andy

:clap:

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

You can't go direct but can you not do Larne to Troon then quick run up the coast and do Ardrossan to Brodick.

Alternatively, what about a cheap flight from Belfast to Glasgow, train to Ardrossan then ferry to Brodick.

9. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I'll check out the feasability of that John, its just, with no transport, and no Bass, it may be a tad on the difficult side, but I will check it out

Andy

10. supersop_1

supersop_1 Account Suspended

Sounds like a great idea.Might be worth making sure it doesnt clash with any of the area.s or whit friday though

11. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Im sure I could get Campbeltown Brass or at least a good handful of the players from the band over, any excuse for a drunken night somewhere different, although if its the Easter weekend I might not make it myself, depends if Im going away with YABB or not but Im sure there would be enough folk keen to go. Its pretty easy for us to get there, and think I can maybe see Dave's house accross the water from here anyway!!

If the full band isnt going I could bring a few basses over if needed, but would need to see 1st.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Easter
    Whiting Bay
    Isle of Arran
    Kilmory Hall
    Bunkhouse
  13. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Sounds like a great idea Dave and, so long as it doesn't clash with any of Lochgelly's engagements (it's their Bass after all), count me in on Eb!

14. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I'll mention this to the commitee of the Edinburgh Uni Brass Band, we are looking for some kind of event that could be both a musical and social event, this could be ideal. (as long as you wouldn't mind a trumpet or two :eek: )

15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

OK, get ready to play a low Eb after I count you in....1...2...3...

;)

Thank you for all your replies thus far, and to those who sent me PMs. I haven't ignored this thread, just gleaning how much support is likely. Seeems like it's going to be on! Thank you all!

Cheers

DP

16. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Blasted it right into the open end of a Fanta can - hope it wasn't too loud :D

17. colin hipwell

colin hipwell New Member

If one week of me at the WMA Summer School is not too much I would love to join you for your brass band event on Eb bass. Happy to share transport from down south if the dates match (I want to do some walking).

Colin :)

18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

On the contrary, if one week of ME is not too much for you, I'd love to see you there! :)

19. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

So far, it just seems to be basses that are after this job. If it helps I also do percussionism and am (lying) fairly ok on trombone (if you get stuck)... although, like I said, I have no transport.... My auntie lives in Ayr, but she's a lying moo, so I don't speak to her anymore, but if someone is able to get to me or pick me up from stranraer, I will be there..

Andy

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Andy, that's very kind of you. I'm sure something can be arranged to pick you up. As it happens (he says in his worst Jimmy Savile voice) we have a couple of 'definites' on euph, one of flugel and a couple of 'probablys' on cornet, which at this stage is already encouraging (as well as a few 'possibles').

I'm a couple of days away from having Kilmory Hall and Lodge definitely booked for the Easter weekend next year, so very soon I'll be able to confirm. Once that's done, I'll be able to give a rough estimate of how much per person it will cost.