Around the world ... in a concert

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by davidaus, Sep 28, 2007.

1. davidaus

davidaus New Member

My band are looking to do a concert in the theme of going around the world next year....

The countries that we are having difficulty with finding pieces for are:
    -Far East (without using Miss Saigon ...)
    -Africa ( not using African Waltz or Lion King or Zulu)
    -South America (??)

Ideas for a non-competing band, please.
  2. ekimmort

ekimmort Member

Out of Africa
  3. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've done "Maraba Blue" by the South African jazz pianist, Abdullah Ibrahim, which goes down well, and have you thought about all the "african" stuff we all did for the Brass Band Aid cd (African Funk (me), African Trio (Ken Downie), African Adventure (Darroll), Hymn for Africa (Peter Meechan)).
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

South America - copacabanna or Brazil
  5. Big Ste

Big Ste New Member

Mexican Hat Dance - Ok could be argued as Central America but you could always do a slight detour

Don't Cry For Me Argentina
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

South America
    Girl from Ipanema
    Amazonia (Windows of the world)

Sun (Baritone solo)
    Circle of Life (Lion King)
  7. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

Africa - Zambesi
  8. Big Ste

Big Ste New Member

Africa - Could always do the Grand March from Aida
    or the very oldies Homage to Pharoe or Desert Song if you are really wanting to scrape the barrel
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

If you want something contemporary and in African style, try Kongolela (J.M. Førde) if the band is up to playing it! (... sorry about not getting the band set on show... it's a popular Stavanger concert-piece).
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've found a link to buy the brass band set of Kongolela here (also has sound clip of it's intro).
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

... and singing it! :-D
    Although I'm not sure if the vocal part is included with the brass band set. Id it once with a wind band, but on the Stavanger recording (I think on one of the European Championships highlights CDs?) there's no singing...
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- there are lyrics on the score of the percussion ens. arrangement posted earlier. It's a bright and cheerful number and would be easily remembered by listeners. I suppose the Brazz Brothers feature it regularly in concert as well.
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The operas "Lakme", "Madame Butterfly" and "Turandot" are all set in the Far East, so an extract from there could fit the bill, such as the "Flower duet" or "Nessun Dorma".
  14. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

How about tying the music in with the countries visited in the Jules Verne book ?
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Gabriels Oboe - written for the film The Mission which is set in South America.
  16. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Born Free (africa)
    Orient Express ( :D covers a few that one! )

Wasn't Sword, Jewel and Mirror based upon a japanese story?
  17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

For the far east there are a couple of pieces written for Dyke's Japan tour in the early 90s sometime - Meiso by John Golland (bari/horn duet I think?) and Hinode by Peter Graham.

Or there's always the overture to The Mikado ;)

For Africa, there are a few cracking pieces on the recent Brass Band Aid CD - Peter Meechan's Hymn for Africa or Ivory Ghosts by Gavin Higgins are both top notch.
  18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Didn't someone om here write Zulu? :D
  19. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And didn't someone say, in their opening post, Not Zulu? :rolleyes:
  20. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

( did they?... oops :oops: )