Armistice Day and marches

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Beesa, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Beesa

Beesa Member

Well I would imagine that most of us are now back from our annual outing to the local War Memorial.

I wonder how many times Slaidburn was played throughout the UK today!

We also played True and Trusty, the British Legion March and Home Again and I wonder what marches other bands used?
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

we didn't play that one for a change. Instead we did Sons of the Brave, Death or Glory and 1914
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Did it with Fishburn; we played Arnhem, New Colonial and Death or Glory
  4. BoBo

BoBo Member

Navy Volunteer Band, hence Army of the Nile and Heart of Oak.
  5. julestools

julestools Active Member

Westward Ho, Standard of St George, Kennilworth and Young Recruit with 12 players and only me on bass blowing my little (?) butt off with my tin leg giving me jip. Mustn't grumble :)
  6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Slaidburn, Kenilworth, Blaze Away for us.
  7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We did Slaidburn, Chieftan, True and trusty, Death or Glory, Colonel Bogey and Standard of St George.
  8. baridis

baridis Member

The Chieftan for us. Managed to set at least 2 car alarms off, and finish with a Jigby Ring!!
  9. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

We only managed 1 car alarm
  10. Owen S

Owen S Member

On the way out: Great Little Army, Spirit of Freedom and New Recruit; 4 of Gareth's hymn tune arrangements in the church service; Solemn Melody, then the Last Post and Reveille at the war memorial outside; waiting around in the rain for the police to close the road, then Colonel Bogey, British Legion and Home Again on the way back; finish off with a beer upstairs.

Not a bad morning's blowing.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Wellingtonian" and "Star Lake" on the way up, and "Montreal Citadel" on the way back.

Mind you, in the light of the incessant rain we may have done better with "The seafarer" ;)
  12. To the Cenotaph; Slaidburn, True and Trusty, The Chieftain

Back again; Death or Glory, Colonel Bogey, Standard of St. George.

EDIT: Lou beat me to it. How was the carvery by the way?
  13. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Carvery was Yum! Though was the only one dining in the end.

Shame we didn't have time to fit in our trademark march...........
  14. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

The University of York Brass Band led the Easingwold Remembrance Day Parade, assisted by some percussionists from the Centurion Showband.
    We used: "Slaidburn", "Death Or Glory" and a medley of "Long Way to Tipperary" and "Pack Up Your Troubles", borrowed from Centurion for the day.
    The "Last Post" was played twice: once in Church at 11am and once at the Cenotaph on the return journey.

Sadly (and much to our Bass Drummer's disgust) we didn't manage to set any car alarms off (and boy did he try!!) :-D

The weather in Easingwold was nice and Sunny! (For Once!!!) :biggrin::biggrin:
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  15. andyp

andyp Active Member

Slaidburn, Standard Of St George, Arnhem, Great Little Army, Federation, Our Director, The British Legion (twice), Imperial Echoes, Old Comrades, On The Quarter Deck,

(We do two jobs, one morning, one afternoon).

Last Post in the morning was interesting, vicar got us out of the service a bit too early, so we had some "time for contemplation" before 1100, so I start the Last Post at just before 10.59 and purely by chance, no planning, the church clock starts chiming 11 just as I'm finishing, the last note dies as it gets to 9, 10, 11, two minutes silence. Couldn't have timed it much better if I'd tried!
  16. Johncornetflugel

Johncornetflugel New Member

No marching (the Sea Cadets did that) but we played: The Dead March from Saul, Nimrod, Solemn Melody, Heart of Oak and A Life on the Ocean Wave, played on HMS Belfast with mulled wine and mince pies in the Wardroom after.
  17. midlandbass

midlandbass Member

Slaidburn and Westward Ho. Nice short march so Slaidburn on way and Westward Ho on way back.
    Always good to hear it booming back off the shops lol!!!
  18. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

With my band in the morning we played On the quatar deck and death or glory! Then while depping in the afternoon for another band played britsh legion, cross of hornor and punchillio!
  19. Bungle

Bungle Member

Being the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and being in Kent, we started off with RAF march past followed by Officer of the Day and Slaidburn. On the way back we played Colonel Bogey, British Legion and Standard Of St George.

I'm a bit surprised no one else so far has played RAF march past, is it because it's not a good arrangement or not in a march book? Just curious.

Geoff Collins
  20. David Mann

David Mann Member

We played "Sons of the brave" and "Old Friends". It's my annual go on bass drum. No car alarms but had to stop at one point as we were spooking a police horse.