Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by meandmycornet, Jul 26, 2007.

1. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Ok I needed to tell everybody my exciting news!!!

I expect most of you will remember that Kelly went to America for her teaching practice earlier in the year......

Well now its my turn!!! :D

I'm going America for my teaching practice next March! I can't wait!!

I got the email about 20 minutes ago and haven't stopped bouncing and squealing yet!!

Happy Fi
  2. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Oh I'm jealous happy Fi. Good for you :clap:
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No you're not Fi. I have some contacts and they're not going to let you in. ;)
  4. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

And why didn't you text me?!?!?
    Lucky you! I'll miss you though :cry: I won't have anyone to talk about stuff with.... like squirting :tongue: don't even go into that....!
  5. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Congratulations Fi! I'm very pleased for you! :clap:
  6. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Oh my goodness me! I'm not sure America is ready for you yet fi! :)

Seriously tho! Well done! You'll have an amazing time it was fantastic! I still keep thinking about how much i miss it! :) Well done you! And at least this year thanks to the beauty of facebook we can put you in touch with some of the guys we stayed with.

I want to go again now!!!! :)

PS) You've got about 8 months to save up as much as you can- you'll spend a fortune believe me! :) (and thats even without bringing home 27 Giraffes!) OOohhhh we'll have to get you a Barnaby Bear too!
  7. meandmycornet

Hahaha one of my first thoughts was 'oh yay I have a legitimate reason to get my own Barnaby Bear now! I can't wait to go to the bear factory!

One of my other thoughts was .... am I going to be able to take Charlie Cornet to America with me? Does anybody know if I can take him as hand luggage? :p

Oh and kelly.... there is no way I will be bringing home 1 girraffe... let alone 27! I want a mug from central perk though... and an I Love NY t-shirt :p

Oh and I'm finally going to be going on a plane! I'll be 22 by the time I actually fly!
  8. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

I want an I love NY top too.... you know you love me, Fi!!!
  9. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

Sure everybody wants the NY t-shirt, nobody wants one from Iowa......

Where in the US are you coming too? I understand the exchange rate is the most favorable it's been in decades, so that should help with your cash needs.

If anyone what to keep us from letting her in, just put some cheese in her luggage...TSA seems to be really good at finding it.
  10. meandmycornet

Fredonia is where I shall be going.... its in New York State... but is absolutely nowhere near NYC!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- interesting history to the place :p
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I took my cornet along on business trips a couple of time (within Europe, but also to the US and even to China once). I have one of those old B&H Sovereign cornets, in a blue case (which is a lot smaller than the more recent Besson cases). Just enough space to fit my Silent brass in it besides the instrument...

I never had any problems with taken it as an extra hand luggage piece, except for the last time I went. They didn't make any trouble at the check in desk and at the regular security check point. But for flights to the US, there is an additional security check point just before you get to the gate (in Brussels Airport), and there they told me I had to check the instrument in as normal luggage. Luckily, I had stuffed my instrument case with newspaper (inside the bell) and bubble wrap, and put an additional belt around the case so it would open. They also put some giant "fragile" stickers on the case. I wasn't to happy with it, but in the end nothing happened to it. And on the flight back home, I could take it as handluggage again.

Last year when I flew to Birmingham with British Airways, I remember seeing some signs at the check in desk that musical instruments were allowed as "2nd piece of hand luggage", so maybe you should check with the carrier before hand.

Enjoy your time in the US!
  13. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

WoW Fi, thats great news.
    i hope you have a fantastic time when your there.
  14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I bet you couldn't get away with a tuba as hand luggage!! Be thankful that like me you are on the cornet. But even as hand luggage, a belt round the case with extra packing like newspaper inside, will ensure it gets there with no more dents than it has now. (hopefully no dents now)
  15. sugarandspice

Fredonia is approx an hour away from Buffalo which is 1 hour flight (or 8 hour drive!) from NYC!

Fi- wouldn't bother with your cornet, you'll be busy ALL the time and the luggage restrictions aren't great considdering how long you're going for! I'd save room for bringing stuff back!

The college has quite a good music department so if you really are desperate to play you can pop over to the music hall and i'm sure they'd lend you an instrument! Or you might find that you come back from america having completely gone off music and brass bands!.....or maybe that was just me! :)

Also, just a tip and i'll help where ever i can, make a start on your assignments as soon as you get them in January to avoid having a total nervous breakdown before you go! Think we had to hand in 6 weeks before the due date and it was horrible!
  16. meandmycornet

I don't think I'll take Charlie Cornet... not if he might have to go with the other luggage... I've seen airline enough times to know they just throw stuff in the plane! And someone I know took his euph abroad and was made to put it in the hold and it came back with a squished bell... NOT PRETTY!

Kelly.... are american children really all horrible brats that diss the English accent? because people keep telling me this!
  17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

You'll be OK Fi,. Your accent certainly isn't English. :)
  18. sugarandspice

Hmmm! My class we're perfectly well behaved all the time! they were little angels! which was great for me and meant i could teach them loads! Claires class were really hard work and adams class was just stupid! Its just luck of the draw, as it would be in england! My kids said my accent was fantastic (when i struggled through a spelling test with them!) and generally the kids loved it! Got some strange questions asked about our language tho- see my quotes list on facebook to give you an idea!

The main thing we noticed was that the kids didn;t realise they were actually talking english just like me! some of the children asked if we were talking french! You'll have fun correcting the way they speak and spell tho! :)
  19. Sopha

Sopha Active Member

Cool! that's great news hope you have fun!
    I'm off to America in February too because it's my mums birthday and were off out there with my mums sisters. My uncle, auntie and 3 cousins live out there so were mainly going there to see them too! :D I cant wait!!
  20. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Well done on getting the chance to go to America, Fi - really pleased for you. Make sure you get all you can from the opportunity. It will be a great experience for you and will hopefully enhance your future career.

Will no doubt see you before you will talk to you about it then!!