Aren't we all Adjudicators really

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JohnnyEuph, Jul 30, 2003.

Aren't we all Adjudicators really???

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't have opinions because i'm a Cabbage

1. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

now come on ladies and gentlemen, I'm sure we've all had conversations/arguments (maybe), at contests about who we thought should have won. Or 'that band who played everything at the wrong tempo' (or things like that)... I just want to put this question to you all

Aren't we all Adjudicators really???
  2. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I often wondered whether we should do without the adjudicator and have a voting system where the members of the audience who aren't connected with a band get a voting button.

But it all falls down since down here in the L&SC region that means it would end up being the two old dears who wandered in by accident to eat their lunch! :D
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I think we are all critics by nature, even if not adjudicators. When we are listening to a performance we tend to judge it in our own minds, and those of us who play are probably watching out for the technical skills or otherwise of the performers.

I would say, however, that most of us would be more tolerant of the occasional slip than an adjudicator would be. I, for one, am more interested in a good overall musical performance rather than waiting to see if the soloists hit their top "z".

The other thing that troubles me somewhat is that, with the abundance of first-rate recordings available, audiences can be over-critical of mistakes made in live performances of all kinds of music. We are so used to the standards produced in a studio, with retakes and editing, and also to simply sitting back and listening instead of contributing to the success of a concert as members of the audience. Building a rapport between performer and listener is a two-way thing, and too often audiences seem content to let the performers on stage do all the work.
  4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

We all have critical faculties and the ability to arrive at some sort of decision. We go along to contests knowing the sort of criteria would apply - probably all very different. As Peter implied above, he's interested in musicality but for every one like him there's another more concerned with that all-important top z. (My mum judges bands on the colour of their uniforms).

Few of us listen to all the bands at a contest with complete impartiality and our ability to see the bands gives us another raft of factors: "they won't win they're just a bunch of kids" or "how can they do well with just three basses...").

So my answer to the poll is yes, and no. Does that make me a cabbage?

5. CRat63

CRat63 Member

Who doesn't think they are an adjudicator?! Its just one of those things isn't it? A contest wouldn't be a contest if peolple didn't form their own opinions on what they've heard-would it? If John, you are meaning do we all have the potential to be an adjudicator, well yes, I think so. Most people can form an order of 15 bands at a contest on what they liked the best. Isn't that just what an adjudicator does on the day anyway? It doesn't have to be based on if a band plays a piece technically perfect or if they stick to the metronome markings-its opinion, based on a number of factors-and we all could do that-unless you're a cabbage of course....
    So, my thoughts for the next one-lets issue everyone with one of those Who Wants To Be A Millionare keypads and we'll all choose our top three-the results are displayed on a big screen behind the stage (would work a treat for 'entertainment contests anyway!). Great fun.

Nice to hear from you that Smith character-I thought you'd descended into the depths of University summer hibernation.

Craig (very possibly a cabbage)
  6. deave

deave Member

I thought that Smith character would be in maximum hybernation, determined not to have to pay me and nick 100 quid in 3 yrs!! How's it goin emperor?
  7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I hope not, aren't you doing the Yorkshire Areas?

8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

:p Actually, i might be... As Her Majesty The Queen is interested in employing me - she's had me running a mile and a half every day for the last two weeks in preparation (well, i need the excercise anyway)...

P.s.... you and Nick will never see that money anyway!!!

'The Emperor'[/quote]
  9. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

...anyway Deave, It's only a matter of time before Big men from the bank come round and take me Stereo and me Euph... £100 my arse!

Is her majesty the queen actually going to employ you or just detain you at her pleasure? Is the running practise so no-one can catch you?

Hope you are enjoying the break, I am!

The other Pennine euph player!
  11. amgray

amgray Member

Would you prefer to be some other Brassica? (pun intended)
  12. deave

deave Member

You sure it wasn't 'Wildlife on One' filming the movement of Donny's only Ostrich?!

Anyways, don't mention the police, still makes me itch!! haha
  13. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Ha ha, you're all soooo funny... especially the tall stupid one.... wots his name..... plays cornet lol
  14. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

everyone does it at a contest at some point possible without even realising, "Gosh he was out of tune", or "how many splits did that cornet make...". But we listen to the bands before and after us and its like we look out for the mistakes so we can comment and make our band feel better and more confident. I do it without noticing sometimes and half the time it is just to pick faults. Its not just the bad points we pick up on, we do acknowledge the good ones too-just don't talk about them as much as the good ones, unless they were amazing. But that's what contesting is, it's all about peoples remarks and being judged on everything from appearance to playing.
  15. picju96

picju96 Member

I couldn't be one, because I tend to listen out to my section only, I don't do it on purpose, it just happens!