Areas 2019

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by julian, Sep 15, 2018.

1. julian

julian Active Member

Are next year's 'Area' test pieces being announced at Cheltenham today, and if so can anyone tell us what they are?

2. Hsop

Hsop Member

Hi

I saw them listed on 4bars today ;

2019 Regional test pieces announced
    Kapitol Promotions has announced the test pieces for the 2019 Regional Championships.

Championship Section: Seascapes (Ray Steadman-Allen)
    Section 1: Symphony of Marches (Gilbert Vinter)
    Section 2: Rise of the Phoenix (Darrol Barry)
    Section 3: First Suite in E Flat (Holst arr Sydney Herbert)
    Section 4: Stantonbury Festival (Ray Steadman-Allen)

3. julian

julian Active Member

Thank you!

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is to think that that seems a pretty sound set of choices. Seascapes is undeservedly neglected, Symphony of Marches not often played either, and both are pitched well difficulty-wise for their respective sections. I don't know Rise of the Phoenix, so can't comment. The Holst is lovely music, and many will underestimate what it takes to play it well - hopefully not too many bands in the 3rd section will naively roll their eyes at its lack of semiquavers (though certainly some will); those bands are unlikely to do well at the contest. Stantonbury Festival is another undeservedly neglected RSA piece and should offer some pleasure to the 4th section.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but the Area choices in recent years have seemed to me consistently better judged than in the period prior.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Tom-King likes this.
  5. CJBaggins

CJBaggins Member

From my one listen to this yesterday, quite a tasty little part for Soprano too by the sounds of it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice