Areas 2017 Happy with the results?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mesmerist, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Obviously I am because we made it through to the Nationals and I am moved to tears of happiness that Verwood came 3rd in the WoE, Hyde got promoted, Lympstone won the 1st and Otterbourne are also coming to Cheltenham. It's been a good year (not like the last one...). How was it for you and did you have any bands close to your heart do very well indeed? :)

Slider1 likes this.
  2. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

We didn't do to bad, 4th in first section - Chalford.
    I think as a band we felt like we didn't play as well as we could of, or certainly as well as it had been going in the band room! But isn't it always like that!
    Overall happy with the result and just happy that the 'disco lights' didn't go off during us playing!

3. Thom

Thom Member

Bit confused by what happened in Midlands 4th section. Did Porthywaen really withdraw as it says on 4barsrest? Final predictions from 4barsrest included Warwick Uni 1st (they came 16th), Porthwaen 3rd (they came = last) and Bestwood 5th (they also came = last). I wasn't there so have no idea if something strange occurred?

4. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Ah don't panic !! It happened all over the place... Most sections in WofE they got completely wrong! The band they predicted to win the first section came last!

5. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Porthywaens Facebook page only bemoans their result. So not sure the WD is correct, but the =20 is

TBH 4 Bars Rest get it wrong more than they get right - they had us 6th at Butlins - we came last. Other similar stories seem to happen quite regularly.
    I attended the 3 Sec on Saturday and heard 15 of the 18 bands (including Mesmerist - I presume that was you playing Rep?) and my "results" were not a million miles away from the adjudicators - but some of 4BRs were. I also don't know how well the 4BR writers actually know the piece - they are volunteers mainly after all - which also may have a bearing on how they view what they hear

In terms of S4 the conductor of the band I play for was also conducting yesterday and he seems a bit non-plussed by the result. So whether there were issues with the adjudicators I don't know, however Im sure Corby and the other qualifiers wont think so. Ultimately that's contesting......

Slider1 likes this.
  6. Euphonium Lite

Should also mention that 4BR got the 2nd section in Midlands bang on - they got 3rd and 4th the wrong way round but everyone else was bang on the money

7. Thom

Thom Member

I know there are often discrepancies between the commentators and the judges, this just seemed a bit extreme. What does =20th actually mean? Why not 20th and 21st (last)?

8. Euphonium Lite

Possibly because in the adjudicators opinion, nothing could separate them, and everyone else was better?

There have been several examples of 4BR getting it spectacularly wrong over the years, my own band fell victim at Butlins this year. Sometimes they get it bang on

I do think some adjudicators are better at their jobs than others, and until such time as we have an "elite" list for area contests rogue results can and will happen. At the end of the day, the adjudicators have a clear idea in their heads and everyone is different

Another case in point is last years 3rd section - the Midlands judges were very vocal around following dynamics and tempo marks and hammered everyone that didn't - including Mesmerist's band; had my band played there I think we would have won or close to - but we played Stevenage the following week, came 5th with the winning band being one which the adjudicator said "took risks which paid off". Until either the same judges are used for each contest (which brings its own issues) or all adjudicators are told to watch for the same points - likewise - its something that can always potentially happen.

I went to Bedworth mainly a) to get an idea of the "bar" for performance and b) listen to the remarks of the adjudicators - this year we actually have one of the midlands judges in our box. Its part of my homework / practice as a MD

9. Thom

Thom Member

Thanks that's useful, I didn't know you could have = something and assumed one band might have been disqualified and given equal last place or something like that.
    Can I ask who your top 6 were in the 3rd section (although I know you didn't listen to 3 of them)?

10. Euphonium Lite

Notes are at home (and Im at work) but can remember top 4 were

Rolls Royce Derby (came 1st)
    Wellington Telford (came 4th)
    Ifton (came 2nd)
    Cubbington (came 5th)

I missed Shirland, Arrow and Audley - so missed the 3rd place band

Bottom bands were

City of Birmingham (came 18) then think it was Long Eaton, Amington and Melton - there may have been another in the middle of that list but cant remember exactly. Will try and post "my" results later

Thom likes this.
  11. Thom

Thom Member

That's brilliant. Perhaps more people should post their "results" on here? After all, if a fish or a stone could predict the results as well as the 4barsrest pundits, we should perhaps think again about what we are doing. Your results give us hope....I suspect there will be an available slot at the regionals next year for a pundit!

Mesmerist and Euphonium Lite like this.
  12. Euphonium Lite

In fairness to 4BR they are all volunteers and I am a bit of testpiece geek - I generally try and find recordings that other bands put on line (Soundcloud etc) to try and guage how my own band are doing in comparison - others are maybe less mad. But then I do like to think that come the area I know the testpiece inside out and back to front

Slider1 likes this.
  13. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Well Done. There's been some surprises this year which can't be a bad thing. Good luck at Cheltenham.

Mesmerist likes this.
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Just don't play it that way :)

Jack E, Mesmerist and Euphonium Lite like this.
  15. dibbler

dibbler New Member

I believe the results are as follows.
    Midlands 3rd section.

Rolls Royce 1
    Ifton Colliery 2
    Shireland Welfare 3
    Wellington Telford 4
    Cubbington 5
    Stourport on Severn 6
    Matlock 7
    Towcester Studio 8
    Trentham Brass 9
    Arrow Valley 10
    Resdev Market Rasen 11
    Audley 12
    Brackley & Disctrict 13
    Long Eaton 14
    Stamford Brass 15
    Amington 16
    Melton 17
    City of Birmingham 18

16. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

Rather spookily, Championship section at the Midlands area this year had the same bands placed 1-7 as last year, in the exact same order.

Thom likes this.
  17. Euphonium Lite

Some of the renditions Ive heard seem to...... :)

18. Brian

Brian Member

Certainly there seems to be a problem with some ex military band conductors who now adjudicate in the Brass Band movement; they seem to find Bands toooooo loud, maybe they are used to brass players having to player softer so the woodwind instruments can be heard.

19. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Have you done any adjudications Euphonium Lite? Sounds like you'd be a good one to me. Yes I was on Rep and we played number 1 draw. Heard bands 3, 4 and 5 then went to watch the first section. Oh and very good luck next week. I hope it all goes to plan!

20. Jack E

Jack E Well-Known Member

Yep - the band I'm learning with came third in Second Section, and has been promoted to First Section! :) I was chuffed to bits for them all when the news came through to me! And I still am!

Sadly, I wasn't able to go and watch them at Bedworth, as I had to attend the funeral of one of my oldest friends - a long haul from Buxton to Hastings, but she deserved no less from me.