areas 2014

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ringa, May 18, 2013.

1. tat

tat Member

Yes but it's been used a number of times in the 2nd section own choice and even once in the 3rd section? & why not after Plantagenets this year.

2. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

3. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Why not? Because it was used in the national contesting structure only 5 years before next year, 1.5 levels higher. The setters don't tend to either repeat selections that quickly or move them between sections that quickly.

It would be a good piece for a second section contest where the setters were confident that all bands were towards the top end of the section. 2nd section finals, for example. Or Butlins. Bit much for the area - some bands would be demolished by it, much as they were by The Plantagenets this year.

I'm doing the easy thing here of knocking suggestions, so here's some alternative ideas for 2nd section:
    Rhapsody in Brass - absolute banding classic, not been seen in the nationals structure since the 1975 old 2nd section, and still full of challenges. Bit light on perc is the only drawback
    Tournament for Brass - again an older piece with smaller percussion parts, but a good one. Would test the 2nd section out thoroughly, possibly too much. Last nationals use - 1976 old 2nd section.
    The Aeronauts - last nationals use, 1996 2nd section final.
    Land of the Mountain and the Flood - last nationals use, 1976 old 2nd section final.
    A Salford Sinfonietta - last nationals use, 1994 2nd section.
    A Downland Suite - again light on perc, but a great piece. Last nationals use - 1946 championship section - well overdue for a reappearance.

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

If everyone on themouthpiece contributes a quid, is that enough for a commission Philip? Go on, you know you want to ;)

6. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Incidentally - Does anyone know the exact day of the Midlands 3rd section next year? I'm wagging in that section, but also playing in the Northwest areas the same weekend. If it's the Saturday I may have to clone myself! Wish they'd put all the areas on different weekends as others... :(

7. marc71178

marc71178 Member

For as long as I can remember its been 3rd and 1st on the Saturday and 4th, 2nd and Championship on the Sunday.

8. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Oh no! Cheers anyway m'dear! :)

9. smaca

smaca Member

C St Magnus
    1.A London Overture
    2.Rhapsody in Brass
    3.Egmont
    4.Partita(Edward Gregson)

10. simonium

simonium Member

No. Partita has been used fairly recently. A London Overture? If so I'm glad I've picked now to hang my boots up - an incredibly dull piece of music.

11. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I like London Overture, would make a good selection for 1st section, and Egmont is nice as well.

12. Laserbeam bass

Whilst it might be a good idea, and if Simon Dobson can do it, then why not, but Bungert died in 1915 :tongue:

Just as well this wasn't posted for the 2003 areas, otherwise we could have ended up with 5 Edrich Siebert arrangements :ranting2:

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Didn't that happen at Butlins a few years ago?

Edricious times.

14. Laserbeam bass

Don't think it was Edrich Siebert, but I am usually in a state of semi-consciousness at most Butlin's, so it could well have been him, or even "he must not be named" :dunno

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

He who must be named Edrich?

16. Laserbeam bass

Bernaerts....... Damn, you made me say it now!

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

John Edrich Bernaerts. The mystery is solved.

18. Anglo Music Press

He was very ill for a very long time.............

19. tat

tat Member

And no comment on London Overture for the 1st section!!

20. Anglo Music Press

I could tell you, but I would have to kill you.....