areas 2014

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ringa, May 18, 2013.

1. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Rhapsody for brass should be well within second second bands (bearing in mind what they've been given in the past 3 years!!)

I'd heard 4th section was to be a new piece by a well known Scot!

2. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Well lets hope it's Tallis then!

3. Hornator

Hornator New Member

Please don't let it be Rhapsody in Brass. Bands would see percussionist leave in droves and personally, level playing field what ever, I think you need a good 1st section band to do this great piece justice

4. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Rhapsody in Brass would be a darned sight more suitable for 2nd section than Cross Patonce was last year, or some of the other pieces that have been 'rumoured' (on here at least) such as Triumphant Rhapsody and Kensington Concerto - on which several bands at the Masters came a cropper.

Bands of all sections - from the top down - deserve to have a decent piece of music to play, but also ought to be tested fairly.

5. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I don't mind too much what pieces are chosen, generally the better bands in each section will play whatever is put in front of them better than other bands. What I would like is a proper explanation of why each piece was chosen and what the Music Panel expects from the bands rather than the bland press release we get each year

6. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Don't get your hopes up over one piece, just don't give up at all is the better answer!

7. abbey-brass-tuba

abbey-brass-tuba New Member

Will the pieces be announced on Friday??

8. I would suggest it will be tomorrow, as The Bandsman will no doubt have them listed in this week's magazine to coincide with Cheltenham and that lands on most doorsteps on Thursdays.

9. abbey-brass-tuba

abbey-brass-tuba New Member

So who gets their post first... mine won't hit the doorstep until about 1pm... I reckon we will have the pieces on TMP long before I read it in the Bandsman.

10. casanova

casanova Member

I had an email from Studio Music listing all the pieces for the finals - I broke it as an exclusive on here. :tongue: It'd be nice if I got the same again.

11. Spill then Gareth. What's the list.;)

12. Pollythetuba

Pollythetuba New Member

How about Lorenzo for second section?

13. casanova

casanova Member

If i was to predict using only composers, id say:

Downie
    Lorriman
    Ball
    Wilby
    Fernie

;)

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Number 90 in the red hymn books?

15. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

no.way please. I will.retire In.protest.

im.the.last 30 years.we.have.discovered.discord, syncopation (spelling?) and.proper.bass.trombones.

16. nethers

nethers Active Member

And full-stops! :p

Agreed, it is a terrible choice of test-piece, for all but two players nothing to do and the trombones/percussion will be thoroughly comatosed.

I suspect the submitter may have been trying to pull a leg :)

17. boourns

boourns Member

I haven't followed the thread, so don't know what the hot tips are, but assuming they're in order I'll take a stab at...

St Magnus
    Sicilian Vespers
    Sunset Rhapsody
    Partita for Band - Postcards from Home
    A Caledonian Journey

18. That's pretty spot on to what I've heard too. The 'Ball' in second section not being the obvious one too?

19. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Why's everyone talking in hints?

St Magnus - Downie
    Cry of the Mountain - Lorriman
    Chaucers Tunes - Ball (Michael)
    Postcards from Home - Wilby
    Three Spanish Impressions - Fernie.

Is how I have it . .

20. chris.neufeld

chris.neufeld Member