areas 2014

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ringa, May 18, 2013.

1. ringa

ringa Member

come on all you's who predicted devil & harmony music.
    whats it gonna be for 2014 Area test pieces:sup
  2. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

What would you like it to be?

Will see what I can do.
  3. ringa

ringa Member

how 'bout harrisons dream, extreme makeover or cambridge var.?:confused:
  4. something with a good bass part.
  5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

For which section :confused:
  6. ringa

ringa Member

I think any of those pieces would be a tad too much to ask of any lower section bands
  7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

I'm a big fan of Harrison's dream, extreme make over is a brilliant piece but logistics could affect that choice with all the bottles! Cambridge variations I'm not a huge fan of, and wouldn't be the hardest of tests either!
  8. Adamskied

Adamskied Member

Heard a rumour that It's going to St Magnus 2014 areas.
  9. ringa

ringa Member

You've a canny track record with past suggestions. Never heard it though. What's it like?
  10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hard. Some big sop moments, including the quiet opening. Bit of a 'test piece', if you know what I mean - lots of running around, the obligatory euphonium cadenza covering three octaves, some silly time signatures that go by so fast you can rewrite them as something different and simpler without anyone noticing, huge concert Bb major chord to finish. And when you get to the end, you think "Well, that was a fun razz, but why did we just do that? What have we learned musically?".

But ten times the musical worth of some things that might have been chosen, and after three years in 1st section purgatory, it would be great to see the band get its teeth into it. Be nicer if it is a piece I haven't played before, but this would do me happily... Harrison's Dream would be fab, or it would be an excellent idea to honour Arthur Butterworth while he is still with us (he turns 90 in August), and revisit the unjustly neglected Odin‚Äč.
  11. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

I'm gonna have a wild guess and say that diversions on a bass theme or blitz, they are due round again, however not to discount the likes of year of the dragon, on the shoulders of giants or indeed st Magnus.
  12. 08cbinns

08cbinns Member

Im sure Harrisons Dream gets rumoured ever year?!
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Diversions was set as the 1st section test at the finals in 2010. Too early for that one I would think.
  14. yoshi77

yoshi77 Member

Eric Ball for the top section would be great. As yesterday proved in Kettering, it can cause horror stories and definitely sorts the band out. Furthermore, rehearsing Kensington Concerto has been a joy and very refreshing. More of the same please!
  15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Festival Music did a notably poor job of sorting the bands out in the top section in 2007. Personally, I'm glad that the policy of setting older technically less demanding repertoire for the top section areas seems to have been left behind.
  16. Martin

Martin Member

Hear Hear! I agree.
  17. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Fair point I forgot to see what had been used recently at national level.
  18. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Don't mind as long as the 1st section doesn't revert to yellow pot boiler overtures ;)
  19. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

No doubt the first section will be issued with school band music again
  20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

2nd Section
    John O Gaunt :clap: