Areas 2009.

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Frontman, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Frontman

Frontman Member

I have just read the announcement by Paul Hindmarsh regarding the Festival of Brass 2009 and immediately thought of the Area Contests.

I am aware that Mr Hindmarsh is, or was on the Music Panel and gave thought to his announcement. Next year is quite a significant year regarding three brass band composers and I was wondering as to whether or not we are in fact looking at the music of Gilbert Vinter, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of his birth, as well as Philip Wilby (60 this year), John McCabe (70) for the Areas or Finals or BOTH..

I suppose this could get one or two brains working overtime.

What’s you view?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    First Brass
    Harrogate
    MMI
    weekend
  3. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Paul's not on the panel any more....but you might be right otherwise....or not :D

4. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Vinter has been selected the past couple of years an different sections

5. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Anyone heard of Graham Cole?

6. critic

critic Member

He used to play or still does with Drighlington band west yorkshire and his doing some composing and arranging

7. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

After 2 months of James Cook this year - please no more Vinter :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not sure how I could calm some of the band down if we had something by him again.

(Having said that though we didn't do too badly on the last one!:clap:)

8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Is that the same Graham Cole that's wrote a piece called Pentacle that's been selected for next year's 1st Section Areas?

I just wondered..........

9. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

oh come on, if you know that much info already please give us some idea about what we will be faced with !

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Bass Trom part's nowt special.......

11. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

well that will make a change - not !!!

when was the last 1st section area pice with a decent bass trom part?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    First Brass
    Harrogate
    MMI
    weekend
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I thought they'd already been announced? I heard someone saying that Salute to Youth had been chosen for the areas. Maybe they were just speculating then!

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I didn't think Voyage was too bad

You may well be right, afaik they've been chosen but not announced. Maybe it is Salute for the top section..........

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Was there not a commission based around Vinter's works being done? (Maybe not for the Areas though!)

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

And once again, rumour, misinformation and chinese whispers is the currency of test piece selection.

Why can't they just get on with it and tell us? After last year's debacle we'd better be thinking about finding all the errors now...

So long as it's not Vinter for the first section I don't mind. JCC was enough to put me off him for a while.

In fact, let's not have a seafaring themed one at all, after Voyage of discovery, Wayfarer and JCC in rapid succession.

(Just watch it be 'Oceans' now...)

17. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Wouldnt it be novel to have new compositions, no copact discs, no recordings, just old fashioned parts and score, and lets have a real test?

18. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

And potentially very expensive (if you're tlaking abou t commissions off 'known' composers).

Nice idea, though, but more likely for the finals....it's been a while since it happened.

19. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Devil and the Deep Blue Sea... :D

20. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Yes bring back Gilbert Vinters Music
    Variations On A Ninth i will go for already
    :clap::clap:
    BRING IT ON

21. JR

JR Member

In a word - yes

And whilst we're at it can we have some visibility on

(1) how the pieces are chosen

(2) why there is a trend to choose harder pieces at the area than the finals (weird or what?)

(3) why the massive secrecy

John R

22. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Ooh, I feel quite ill... Variations on a Ninth for the top section... After they had the nerve to set 'Rienzi', it's not impossible!

It's basically incidental music for a Carry-on film... I like a lot of Vinter's stuff, but VoaN has aged very badly.