Area Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CubbRep, Aug 15, 2006.

1. HBB

HBB Active Member

We're not... but Chris is (or was when I saw him at Preston)

2. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I received one from our regional secretary. They only apply to the new editions of the score and are as follows:

Bar 46 - should be marked non strepitoso (strep at 43 last only 3 bars)

Bar 154 - Trill marked on rep should be marked instead on lower Solo Cor Part (3 & 4). NOT rep part.

Bar 166 - 1st baritone: last quaver of bar, should have * marked which should read (* Baritone commence only when cym virtually silent)

Bar 209 - Solo cornets 3 & 4 should be marked same as solo cornets 1 & 2 i.e. solo cornets tutti.

This was sent by Kapitol to the regional secretaries.

Hope this helps

Igg

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- cheers, I thought I heard some things not quite right at rehearsal! (so I expect a few more to surface!)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Nope! goalpost goalpost triangle, triangle goalpost goalpost it is! Theres not really an easy way of counting it other than the above! :tup Its a good wee piece though, not hugely technical, with nice tunes, its a really good choice in my opinion, if nothing else I'll be able to count come March! :cool:

5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I think once you start to feel it you'll be able to drop the counting, it's got a brilliant lilting feel to the music, I'm loving it!!

Garry

6. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Noooooo! Just when 'house, house, triangle' was starting to work for me I'm going to be compelled to try 'goalposts' :) Plus I'll have to rub out all those little houses on my part... oh well, it'll give me something to do between rehearsals...

Andy

7. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

No point in wasting money on parts that get used just a couple of times every 10 years?? I find once ive prcticed the piece at home a few dozen times I dont really read it, its just a guide...

I wouldnt know about an errata sheet, I just turn up parp my part as the big man tells me to then foxtrot oscar asap!!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've heard through the grapevine of some bands using the original print set and brave enough for reading the small font size ... but in the new set some things still seem odd (unless the players are consistently playing wrong notes?).

9. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

Horn solo in Isaiah 40 is so beautiful can just hear it ringing throughout the halls at the regionals gives me goosebumps

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ha, you'll also be able to hear the split top c's ringing around the hall. Well thats the way I play it anyway :)

11. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I take it that the lower section bands don'tenjoy their pieces then?All I can see at the moment are top and 1st section bands posting about their pieces.My band are really enjoying playing The Seasons.This is probably one of the best lower section pieces I have ever played.And certainly tests all soloists throughout the band.Espescially the solo horn player,in the 2nd movement.
    CubbRep.

12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Huh??? I've just been reading umpteen posts about Prelude and Jubilate (3rd section)...isn't that lower section? :rolleyes:

13. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

Certainly is Crawf

I'm loving Prelude And Jubilate its nice challenging piece and plenty to work on.....though it is quite difficult when you're the only member of the Kitchen sink department !!

14. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

OK - I'm confused. In post 414 it was said:
    And then in post 422 it was said:
    We bought our copy of the piece in November 2006 but it still has a lot of errors in it. This begs the question as to whether we were provided with an old set or these errors were never spotted before? Does anyone still have an errata with the corrections from Pontins two years ago? Having said this the inside page does make reference to the piece being selected for the 2007 Regionals although that doesn't necessarily mean it is the new version of the score!!:confused:

Hmm, still confused!!!!

15. Terrible Timp

Terrible Timp Member

We've purchased our copies at the nationals in harrogate last september and we too were under the impression that it had been altered following the amount of errors from last time it was used !!
    We or certainly the MD haven't found any problems this time round (to my knowledge) so as far as we're concerned we're playing off the right copies error free !!!

Does anyone know for certain ?

16. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I know for certain the copy we bought in November has many errors. All confirmed by Darrol himself. (Although waiting for confirmation of some others I recently spotted ;) ).

17. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Not that many,really.Only about 15 for Prelude and Only about 5 for the seasons.I suppose that is a lot.:confused:
    CubbRep.
    Good Luck to all bands in all sections.:tup

18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

So is there a list of these new errors going about then?

19. murr

murr Member

The Seasons

We are practising The Seasons for this year's Area contest and i must say that the first movement is the most difficult. It looks relatively easily note wise but to actually get all those chords in tune, especially those in the trombone and baritone parts where they are written nearer the bottom of the register, and all those key changes too.
    I think that all of the band is enjoying practising it. :D

20. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

After conversations with a couple of people they have asked me to put up here the errors that I have found in the version of the score I have. All these have been verified by Darrol Barry:-

In Bar 81 (1 before G) - the 2nd note of the Sop and Solo Horn should be a B (unison with Solo Cornet)

In Bar 97 (Letter H) - the Solo Cornets and Flugel should be ‘ff’ like every other instrument that has just a single quaver in that bar

In Bar 100 (4th of H) - the Sop/Rep/2/3 should have a diminuendo on the last two crotchets like Horns/Euphs/Basses

In Bar 107 (3rd bar of I) – the 3rd note of the Solo Horn should be an F# with the last note of the bar being a natural

In Bar 154 (Bar before P) - the Solo Cornet should have a diminuendo like the accompaniment

In Bar 173 (6 before R) – 2nd and 3rd Cornets should be marked ‘two’

In Bar 233 (7th after Z) - 2nd Cornets should be marked ‘two’

In Bar 267 (1 before CC) – The last note in the Bb Bass should be an octave lower

Now I don’t know whether these errors are those that were ‘fixed’ in the new edition and I was sold the old version or whether they are actually in addition to those that have been fixed and I actually do have the new version? Perhaps someone can shed some light?

There are four more which I am awaiting a reply back from Darrol about so I won’t second guess just in case.

Cheers