Area Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by CubbRep, Aug 15, 2006.

1. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I know that it is early,but have there been any rumours as to what pieces have been chosen for The Areas?
  2. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

There was a rumour that Salute To Youth was going to be the top section test piece. This was followed by another rumour that all the test pieces had been picked but were going to be changed because of the earlier rumour about Salute To Youth.
  3. HBB

HBB Active Member

It shouldn't be too long to wait now!

Last year due to a mistake with the SBBA website all the pieces got announced a couple of weeks early - so Nick Childs told us at NYBB. This year's course was 2 weeks ago!...
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well i would like to see James Cook Circumnavigator for the 1st Section as it is my number 1 favorite test piece
  5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

May I just point out your inacuuracy. There was NO mistake on the part of SBBA over the announcement of last years pieces.

They are keeping it close to their chest this year though. We haven't been told the titles selected but they did let us know the timings in order to assist planning for the event. And before anyone asks, no I won't be revealing them cos' that would just lead to wild speculation.
  6. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Not to sure how the selection process works, but James Cook Circumnavigator is being used for the Durham League Contest Champ section in November.
  7. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

It might be his favourite piece but can you play it Perky?;)

For me personally, I would like to have a return to something musical, the piece for First Section last year was Voyage of Discovery but it didn't do anything for me musically. Yes, the bass part was fun, yes, the bass part had a storming solo but dare I say it, I would love something like Force of Destiny, Kensington Concerto etc etc. Something musical with a tune to whistle to when driving to work. Am I old fashioned? Probably!
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  8. You should then compete in Switzerland's first section which is playing "Pageantry" (H. Howells).
  9. sooooper sop

sooooper sop Member

I'd love to do Epic Symphony in the 1st section, I've not heard it played for years and I think it would sort out the men from the boys!
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Well the pieces were released onto the website earlier than the agreed date - sounds very much like a mistake to me!
  11. HBB

HBB Active Member

OK... Backtracking... I found this:

"We at tMP have it on good authority that the pieces given are indeed those selected, the information having been received by John Martin via email as an official press release dated 1st August, and for immediate inclusion on the website."

So it's not necessarily SBBA's fault. :D Apparently the year before it was announced at the Lower National Finals?
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Anyway - we'll leave the announcement of last year's test pieces to one side - it's been discussed before, and stick to debating/guessing this year's choices please.
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

I want something with lots to do for horns for the 1st section next year! Shame Alan Catherall didn't compose a testpiece :(
  14. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Tallis Variations for either top or 1st section
  15. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Delightful! :clap:
  16. Jonno

Jonno Member

I've heard a rumour about Year of the Dragon being selected for the First Section. If it is true we may see a few solo trombonists happy to drop a section .;)
  17. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

Any in Yorkshire that want to come to a good, up and coming 1st section band; check out the link below ;)

18. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Anyone know 'Variations on a Bass Theme' ? I've heard this may be a good piece for Top Section Bands. ;)
  19. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Diversions on a Bass theme - George Lloyd was used as the area test in 1987
    Introduction and Allegro on a Bass by Reger Robert Simpson ( around 14 mins long) not used as a test but would be a brilliant to work on , would be good to have some Robert Simpson to play at the area
  20. Naval Nick

Naval Nick Member

There are loads of great test pieces out there that could be considered and really musical. Alderley Edge, Diversions for Band, Paganini, Chivalry, Harmony Music, Dove decending, Eden to name but a few. But my personal favourite would be The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea? What do you reckon?