Area test pieces 2010

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Matt the Baritone, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all! Just wondering, what do you all think will be the 2010 regional test pieces? Personally I can see championship being possibly Harrisons Dream and 1st section either Spectrum or if they really wanted to test us, Year of the Dragon? Im not sure, if anyone has any suggestions or idea of what it may be, scribble back!
  2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Spectrum was used for the 1st section in 1996, I doubt they would use it again just yet.

Year of the Dragon would certainly be a test for most 1st sectoin bands (probably all of us). I would love it but I am NOT on solo trom :).

Sadly, after this years new/modern piece I suspect we will go back to something printed on yellow paper :-(
  3. The Spectrum point is a good one, even though I was only 2 when this happened!! I would absolutely love to play year of the dragon, although the dread of the finale would overcome me! Fab piece though and with a testing 1st section piece like Pentacle last year, anything could happen! Thanks for the reply!
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Lots of people seem very confident that it'll be English Heritage for the top section... All that that says to me is that the choice will almost certainly be changed to something else if it has been leaked this far in advance. Would be a good choice, though.
    Harrison's Dream would be great, though on the hard side (a welcome relief after the last two years!). Would love to see Odin used again too.

Spectrum was used for the 1st section in 1996, and for the Senior Trophy this year. I'd be surprised if it or any other Vinter piece was used again so soon - don't forget that JCC was set for the 1st section last year. YotD would be a massacre in the 1st section for all but one or two bands - why do people always vastly overrate the average standard of the lower sections in these threads?
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

a bit rich coming from a member of a band who (very nearly, and only after an appeal if I am right) became a lower section band this year :D

are you going to the ODBBA contest to show us 'lower section' bands what a top band sounds like? :cool:

see my post above, I agree YOTD would be way beyond most/all 1st section bands
  6. MoominDave

Oh don't be daft, Steve, I've heard Kidlington massacre YotD on the contest stage too. I don't have any pretensions about the standard of band I play for.

Let's not have any more of this tiresome your band - my band baiting based on reading into my posts something which I did not say. I've heard quite enough of that kind of childishness from members of another local band recently.
  7. Columbo

Columbo Member

Yet another Ironic comment. Awwwwww!
  8. MoominDave

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

And there's another Vinter piece for the 1st section at Pontins this year - one of the reasons we decided NOT to go. I have nothing against Vinter and actually really like some of his pieces, but please god thats enough!!
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  10. To reply to MoominDave, the points you have brought up are totally valid and probably correct, so I'm backing that, but after playing a championship section test piece this year in Pentacle, anything could happen. We managed to get a decent result in 6th place, but we played well on stage and other bands struggled. This is basically an overview of recent years in the regionals, with test pieces being chosen out of the bands depths! Im not saying would would be good for the section, because there is a good chance only a few bands in the 1st section will be able to play it to a good standard. Im saying what I could see happening, especially after a difficult test piece like pentacle this year. Its a tricky one, could be another difficult one in waiting! Does anyone have suggestions for the Championship, 2nd, 3rd and 4th respective sections?
  11. MoominDave

I've sent you a PM. This discussion doesn't belong in this thread (my fault that it's here, mostly).
  12. I enjoy hearing peoples views on this topic, but to be fair MoominDave, if you say we overrate bands in the first section, look at our section, there are some very good bands who are highly capable of playing a piece such as year of the dragon (St Austell, Bournemouth, Aldbourne and many others). Who knows......
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

God's teeth, take it to the car park, the lot of you.

The poor chap's come on and started one of his first threads (judging by the post count) and the first thing we get is a flippin riot over the top of it and frankly I'm disgusted. To those people with their sticks in the bucket, ENOUGH!

Matt, welcome to TMp. I doubt spectrum will get used again, after the Vinter fest we've all enjoyed/endure this year (delete as appropriate ;) ) and while I'd love to have a pop at YOTD, I doubt very much it'll come the way of the first section. Too many bands would struggle to get near it.

I think whoever it was (Dave?) posted earlier that we're due something Yellow in the 1st section could be right. Maybe we'll get something pre-war to dilute down the after-effects of Pentacle last year?

Top section? I've heard the rumours about English heritage too - but I heard the same about cambridge variations (I think?) a year or two back and that was (allegedly) a nailed-on dead cert, which got switched because it had been leaked - so more of the same might be true there.
  14. Thanks for the welcome! Very thoughtful! I take your points on board totally! A bit of kindness can get you somewhere, take advice other posters........
  15. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

OK, all I shall ask is things are kept on topic please. Oh, and please keep the content of private discussions as that... private. There's no need to lift the lid of any more cans of worms by hinting at what has been discussed privately. Does no-one any good.

16. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Would love a tuneful piece for the 4th section, with a tricky section and NO euphonium solo! :biggrin:

Something like Celtic Suite would be ideal....without the euph feature bit lol
  17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

No such thing - it's the chosen instrument ;)
  18. Never seen a Euphonium player not liking a solo! I suppose it is a good attitude! Nice to finally have a different sections perspective. Thank you!
  19. Although there are many agreements with KMJ sounds! Many composers do choose euph! We will get a chance one day fellow baritone players!
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

When you've been the subject of Revelation, Masquerade, Harmony Music.....even Carnival Romaine or Le Roi d' soon join the queue of wishing it was someone else's turn ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.